Freedom Of Speech

agentorange

A man in my town was standing downtown on the highway (yes, 101 goes right through my town) with a sign that read "Behead Bush Nov. 2nd." The police got so many 911 calls that they sent an officer over to make sure that it was indeed just a man with a sign. Of course the police officer reported this to his captain and from there it went up to the secret service who investigated the man. This is actually the second time the secret service has investigated him, last time it was for a sign on his truck that read "I don't have a problem with President Bush but I wouldn't mind reading his obituary." Both times they decided that he was only voicing his opinion and didn't intend to kill anyone.

I guess all of that is to be expected considering what country we live in. What really made me mad was how people were stopping on the side of the road inorder to block the traffics' view of the man/sign. A UPS driver actually pulled over to block the view and claimed his truck broke down. A local car salesman accused the man of trespassing and said he was going to make some phone calls but finally figured out that the shoulder of the road isn't actually private property after all. Then there were the really brave ones that just yelled various combinations of four-letter-words at him.

Regardless of what the sign said (pretend it said "behead Kerry" if you have to), this is pretty disgusting behavior for Americans, what do you think?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, americans are generally disgusting people(myself included, as an american and generally disgusting). Yes, he should have the right to put his sign up with the cops getting called, and someone else has the right to yell obscenities at him, just as i have the right to yell things at the folks who protest outside my local planned parenthood office.

and even if it is showing violence, blood, gore, etc. he should be able to have it there. Although i don't agree with 'em, the pro-lifers show signs of aborted fetuses, and that's bloody and gory.

KB, yeah all humans are generally pretty bad. We're just not nice creatures, which is why it's fantastic to find people who are nice.

Which is why I'm glad I'm not a human.

Btw, if he had inappropriate materials on there, he would get in trouble. Why? Our freedoms only go to a certain extent. You're allowed to express your opinion to the point that it dosn't heavily affect people. By putting blood and gore on there, you're exposing it to little kids.

It seems that Freedom of speech gets violated a lot. And only because others have the freedom to voice their opinions about it. If you don't like what someone has to say, don't listen to it! or go somewhere else. If you don't like what's on TV, change the channel. Same with the Radio ie: Howard Stern. I wish we could just live and let live but someone always has to put the nose in peoples business so they can feel like they're important and made a change somehow.

If you can read this, thank a teacher .

If you are reading it in English, thank a Veteran.

"I guess all of that is to be expected considering what country we live in." - me

"It is illegal for any American to threaten the life of the president." - Folding_Buddha

....and?

The secret service decided it wasn't a direct threat to the president and they are right on a regular basis; it's their job.

i think its a good sign. it means people are finally takeing thier right to vote seriosly.people are up in arms "good" maybe americans (me included) are finally takeing an interest in who runs are country.any who that guy better be carefull couse if he slips up and acually dose inadvertently threaten the life of the pres hell be up the river with out a padell.