Sign in to follow this  
bigred

Gateway's = Trash

pre-builts suck by general rule lol..........I hate all pre-built computers, but I kinda like the fact that they are such pieces of junk because 95% of my computer business is pre-built's. Mostly they are Dell's and Compaq's.

if it wasnt for pre builds there wouldnt be that much service in the computer repair industry so YAY for pre builds and there flaws makes my life better when someone comes in but then there a pain to work with but it puts money in my pocket

if it wasnt for pre builds there wouldnt be that much service in the computer repair industry so YAY for pre builds and there flaws makes my life better when someone comes in but then there a pain to work with but it puts money in my pocket
and 403 custom built systems.

That doesnt stand true in big red's shop atleast. Most are custom which really surprises me. But we had a gateway a while back, it was o.k for the time, but then it died. Now I use a gateway in my cad class to run autocad 2005. kinda slow, like 700mhz, but it works for that program. But when I switch programs, I will be using a dell xeon 2.4 box :-P

pre-builts don't suck. they usually extensively test all the components to get optimal setups, and fast smooth running machines - whereas we would just buy the coolest bits and sling 'em together.

that is unless you buy a tiny, pcworld, time, gateway2000, advent, evesham(though theyre getting better) and some more...

Edited by lego

I was just looking over service orders for the last 2 months.

91 gateways in for service, 71 of them with hardware problems. 44 motherboards, 17 power supplies, 104 sticks of ram (yeah some of them had more than 1 bad stick of ram) replaced.

how in GOD'S name did gateway last so long?

I can vouch for this BigRed! I worked at Gateway in Salt Lake City Utah a while back as a QC tech. Let me tell you guys what they do........ Gateway basically hires the cheapest possible labor they can find(I'm talking like $6.00 per hour)and they give them a 2 day training course on how to put a PC together as fast as they possibly can. They split that up into 3 stations and form a manufacturing line, and all three persons have certain parts of the PC they must assemble. There is no ESD protection, none of them know what they are doing, they simply have memorized where to screw something in. Now here is the worst part........While they are trying to do this they have a Supervisor standing over their shoulder practically screaming at them to go faster and faster so that he can increase his own teams production and get a bonus. This makes the workers nervous and they usually start missing the screws and hitting the motherboard among other things with the power screwdriver. Then they would have us boot them one time and hurray and ship it. Even if we knew there was going to be other problems, they just want to get them out the door to the customer. I actually felt guilty working there sometimes, I mean people were spending hard earned money and receiving pure crap that wasn't even tested properly. It was the worst work environment I have ever seen and made me really wonder what the rest of the big names(Ibm,Dell,HP) have going on in their plants. NEVER BUY A GATEWAY!

I've never liked Gateway particularly.. They are unreliable, slow and expensive relative to Dell. I lost all respect for them after they sold some of my clients machines with Windows XP Home on them, even though they went through the "Corporate" purchase link.

I had to format every one of those pieces of crap and reinstall XP Pro so they could participate in Domain security.. blah.

BTW what is up with Dell, HP etc. selling comps with Windows XP(ram hog) and only 128MB or 256MB memory? I don't care what Microsoft is required for Windows XP you need 512MB ram to run smoothly. 256MB that is ok as long as all you do is surf the internet and type in Word lol, but come on 128MB in a machine running Windows XP? Just simply pathetic!

my folding rig is running 256mb pc-2100 ram right now. One of the 256 sticks is dead. Its running perfectly fine, can run aim/msn/firefox etc. But on the otherhand, my moms comp had a faulty mem stick, so its down to 128mb and its a 500mhz p3. Its not cutting it. She is just suffering with crappy load times bc frikken pc-100 or pc-133 sdram is too expensive!

At work, a few months ago, I remember working on Windows ME machines (about 10-12) for an entire day. 0_0 They keep coming back to back; is it a conspiracy. ;)

we get so many custom ones because people are STUPID. most of them are idiots who screwed the motherboard to the case without standoffs, can't figure out how to set jumpers, do things like not install the cpu or ram, forget to plug in the 4 pin power connector, don't hook up the front pannel power switch, and other stupid stuff like that. those are the rigs that are either 15 min of work or 15 hours of work.

we also have a large number of people who suffer from iboughtthisat neweggus n foockeditup syndrom. they're FREE money cuz there's always broken parts or missing parts, or wrong parts in those plus the labor.