Data Recovery Off My Hd (help!)

01blacksnake

My HD fell off my desk and I know that it is physically damaged. I think the head that reads from the disks is broken because the drive spins up correctly but makes lots of clicking sounds when the computer tries to read from it.

I've tried ontrack.com and they quoted anywhere from $900 - $2500 for a data recovery.

Are my options really that limited that I have to shell out THAT much cash to get my data back?

Is it really that hopeless that I am out of luck paying someone that much?

Help!

Unfortuately no, almost every one of those places are going to quote you in that kind of a price range. Most of the time the data is not that worth it for the average user. Now if you have a business that thrives on data like that, then maybe.

I found a website that has FAT32 and NTFS recovery options for most HDDs. This particular program saved my marriage a couple weeks ago when my SATA drive went all buggy and I ALMOST lost 3 and a half years worth of digital photos. They have a trial version available for download on their website and this will at least tell you if the files you require are recoverable. Unfourtunately, you need to buy the full version ($100 USD appx) in order to recover your files. Since I was able to recover most of my files from my hard drive and family/personal photos were something I couldn't really put a price on, I felt in my case it was worth it.

The vendor is Stellar Pheonix. Just Google search it, you will findit (howI discovered them)

Good Luck

I found a website that has FAT32 and NTFS recovery options for most HDDs. This particular program saved my marriage a couple weeks ago when my SATA drive went all buggy and I ALMOST lost 3 and a half years worth of digital photos. They have a trial version available for download on their website and this will at least tell you if the files you require are recoverable. Unfourtunately, you need to buy the full version ($100 USD appx) in order to recover your files. Since I was able to recover most of my files from my hard drive and family/personal photos were something I couldn't really put a price on, I felt in my case it was worth it.

The vendor is Stellar Pheonix. Just Google search it, you will findit (howI discovered them)

Good Luck

Right... but that won't help if there's physical damage...

ive sent lots of drives out to driver savers and have had a good success rate with them. i have a resellers account with them which will get you a 10% discount on the recovery and if they cant recover it or if you decide not to have it done they wont charge you the attempt fee. you just give them my resellers number when you call. its DS14581. i dont know if that will help you any but at least you could get a discount.

Ok, this worked for me afew times: put your hard drive in a ziplock bag and suck the air out as you seal it, than put the bag in your freezer for about 5-6 hours... than plug in your drive and boot into dos and copy EVERYTHING you need to copy and pray it takes less than 15-20 min once you do that it doesent normaly work agian.

anyway I've had relatavely good luck doing that. well good luck man.

Edited by Duff Man

Ok, this worked for me afew times: put your hard drive in a ziplock bag and suck the air out as you seal it, than put the bag in your freezer for about 5-6 hours... than plug in your drive and boot into dos and copy EVERYTHING you need to copy and pray it takes less than 15-20 min once you do that it doesent normaly work agian.

anyway I've had relatavely good luck doing that. well good luck man.

Seth_man, which places do you recommend??

Why does this work?? Also, I have windows XP... I'm not sure how I would start up in DOS to copy everything.

I'm also a little rusty on my commands in DOS. :(

Advice?

Also, what kind of chance that all my stuff will be lost if I try this?

Edited by 01blacksnake

the freezer trick only works when the circuit on the drive them self is damage or burnt out, the problem with you drive is the click of death , this happens with the drive arm is moved from align bracket, right now the best thing i would say to do is send the drive to someone with the tools to recovery the data, is that data really that important? please dont tell me you are doing this to save something like mp3s, i have a sever running 12x 200 gig hard drives and i always tell everyone BACK UP EVERYTHING i back up everything i download after its done ,but anyways you dont have much in the way of things to do, trying the freezer trick may make all data unrecoverable

the freezer trick only works when the circuit on the drive them self is damage or burnt out, the problem with you drive is the click of death , this happens with the drive arm is moved from align bracket, right now the best thing i would say to do is send the drive to someone with the tools to recovery the data, is that data really that important? please dont tell me you are doing this to save something like mp3s, i have a sever running 12x 200 gig hard drives and i always tell everyone BACK UP EVERYTHING i back up everything i download after its done ,but anyways you dont have much in the way of things to do, trying the freezer trick may make all data unrecoverable

Ugh... that sucks.

I figure I really shouldn't try to fix the HD by aligning the drive arm?

Man, I'm going to have to spend so much money.

The mp3s are nice, but what's more important to me are all the pictures I've taken since I started with digital cameras (~5 years worth of pics).

That's what is more important to me... but 900-2500 dollars? Ugh.

I am hoping Seth_man replies with a few recommendations of places to send my drive to to use that 10% discount.

the freezer trick only works when the circuit on the drive them self is damage or burnt out, the problem with you drive is the click of death

i can definately say that thats not always true since just this summer my mom was having the same problem with her hard drive (click of death). Twice she tried letting it rest and then turning back on (but it was never able to be booted from/read) before she came to me and woke me up.

the strange thing was that about 2 weeks earlier my hd in my secondary rig went through the same problem (click of death). I was in linux and had finished downloading the large tar.gz file for installing an HL Steam Server.

oh wow, i was about to tell you my life story with the two drives, lol. I guess i'll go straight to the more important stuff instead.

i listened to my mom's hd drive and it had the same clicking sound one of mine had. after i got anther drive ready to backup the data to i put the clicking hd in a ziplock bag and left it in the freezer for between 25-30 minutes. i told her that i had heard it worked for other people and the logic behind that i had heard about it was that when you freeze the drive, the metal contracts meaning that if the read head was also scrapping the drive in the process, that it would contract and leave a little gap between the platter and the head so that it could read properly again.

then i said: i know that that doesn't completely make sense for this situation since it doesn't sound like the head is scraping the platter, it sounds like when the hard drive spins up, something that is suppose to spin up with it isn't going all the way and sounds like its clicking back back into place (exactly what its not suppose to do).

in short, the drive worked after that and i was able to backup all the data she wanted backedup. the crazy part is that the drive didn't go back to being broken after it warmed up again. I thought that i would have to stop and then refreeze it, but it turned out to never be a problem. I was so amazed that i turned that previously broken drive on again the next day to see if it would still work and it did! after maybe an hour and a half i decided that that was good enough for me :D .

my mom doesn't use that drive right now since she has all she needs on the other drive. but i left both drives in her computer (one with power and an ide cable, and the other without) and told her that if her current hd ever fails, just switch the power and ide cables so that the opposite drive is plugged in (as a temporary solution).

and i really have no idea why the drive didn't end up dead after the backup process (cause it sounded like that has happened to many others). don't know if it has to do with the amount of time it is left in the freezer or if it was a fluke. but right now, i really like the idea of leaving it in for 30 minutes (cause i would think that it can't be good for a hard drives moving parts to be frozen for hours and then immediately be thrown into use. but then again, if the hd doesn't immediate break after being turned on after being frozen for so long, is there really a relationship between how long you freeze it and the likely hood that the drive will continue to work after its gotten back to normal operating temperatures? cause as long as both frozen drives work afterwards, i don't see a reason why the drive frozen for a shorter amount of time should continue to keep working. what i really want to do is get a bunch of broken hard drives and try one freezing method on half of them, and another freezing method on the other half and see what happens. the only problem is that my results would be worthless unless i could test hundreds of drives so that its less likely that one side got much better luck of the draw with the hard drives. lucky drives weren't distributed since it may turn out (by luck) that a lot of the one type were able to work again forever (not really forever, but for days after the test ended :P )

wow... it still ended up long :lol: . atleast its shorter than it could've been :blink: .

but yeah, i'd definately suggest putting your drive in the freezer for no less than 20 minutes (and i don't know if putting it in for hours can have a negative effect or not. all i know is that 30 minutes worked for me, so i feel safer giving you that number. other times may work just as well AFAIK (as far as i know). hope everything works out for ya. :)

Yeah the whole metal contract thing would make sense. I have heard it sometimes works, give it a try! I really really doubt it's going to break it further like someone else mentioned :P

Maybe you could get a few ice packs and sit the hard disk inbetween them to keep it cold while running too