Freebsd

Aristotle

FreeBSIE is pretty nice. I am using it right now :D It's a shame that I can't read italian though.. The commands seem pretty similar to Linux. However, it is totally different at the same time. I am gonna get a book on FreeBSD and use the live version until I have a somewhat average grasp of it.

Cool man!

Generally the FreeBSD handbook is rather good for learning the basics, and the FreeBSD man pages for commands are actually really good usually too, they seem to put alot of effort into documentation.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...book/index.html

Don't let command similarity fool you ;) A small example: I believe in Linux you could do something like `chown mrboo -R *` (sets file owner of everything and recurses directories kinda thing)... try that in FreeBSD and it'll spit an error at you.. any options have to be just after the chown, e.g `chown -R mrboo *`. That is, of course, just a syntax difference really. Other stuff will behave a little differently (and generally usually more sensibly if you ask me) than Linux. Can't think of any examples there as I am so used to it though, sorry!

FreeBSD is ubereasy to grasp if you're the type... as someone on bsdforums.org says it...

"Unix is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!

Unix is user friendly; it's just picky about its friends!".

Once you feel compfy in FreeBSD, which took me about a week, try OpenBSD. It's will involve you a little more into the concepts of stuff :)

Now to just get my sound card working....

Yesh, I learned the differences rather quickly. Ever try mounting a cd drive with mount? Lol, boy, do I feel stupid now laugh.gif

lol mount_cd9660 aint it? what sound card do you have?

FreeBSD is ubereasy to grasp if you're the type... as someone on bsdforums.org says it...

"Unix is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!

Unix is user friendly; it's just picky about its friends!".

That would be wintellect :D OpenBSD always felt kinda horrible to me.