Oc Amd64 3000+

atlxkevinx

hey everyone, i kno this has been discussed a few times, but i still not exactly sure how the OC on this baby look. First of all, i picked up the DFI lanpary UT for my mobo. when i go into the ram settings... it goes all technical on me with so many differnt options im not use to seeing, im use to the XP with simple 2-2-2-5 settings. if someone could break it down for me i would appriciate it, and also, hows the htt work? is that overclockable too? and also could someone break down slowly how to OC the this 3000+ (newcastle). i have koolance PC-2 and brackets on the way, so i am hoping to hit 2.4 with Corsair XMS PC3200. Does this sound reasonable? and locking pci/agp, what should the settings be? if someone could just briefly describe how to "OC", i would GREATLY appriciate it :D

Edited by atlxkevinx

i would say 2.4 is reasonable with your set up you might want to wait till you get a water block or aftermarket cpu cooler .

Right now I got my AMD 64 3200 @ 2.45 and 1.6v with stock cooling so thats only 250 more mhz than stock so you are looking for a 400 mhz gain. try to gain your fsb 2 @ a time till it wont post on stock cooling then reset cmos and remember what youtr fsb was add a lil more volts to it and your overclocking like a champ.Good luck hope this helped you out , also run some test like far cry and benchmarks to see if it's stable. Report back to us with your overclocks .

So get some better cooling and don't go over 1.65v with your 64 or you will be shortly killing your cpu .

Oh yea remember with more volts comes more heat too. SO make sure you got good ventalation in your tower.

Here are some threads at AMDMB, that are relivant:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=352106

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=355392

Cpuid.com has a good K8 architecture article that you may want to check out.

With that motherbaord you should beable to do well past 2.4GHz. You generally should not worty about the memory timings other than the CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-Command Rate. The HTT bus is overclockable, but there is virtually no benifit from runing it faster. You will probably end up running it slower (useing a lower HTT multiplyer) in an effort to get the best CPU and Memory overclock.

The CPus them selves have a pritty good variablity in how well they overclock. It's mostly luck of the draw, assuming same core.

This is my current stable OC with the system in my sig. You should beable to do better as every component besides CPU is superior to mine.

cpu-z-4.png

Edited by oralpain