Upgrading Advice Please

Dimonicka

upgrading system in sig, have 3 options, please advise.

1: pc3200 RAM, 1 GB OEM - latency unknown $125

2: pc3200 RAM 512 MB Top Line Brands - 2 3 3 6 timing or better $90-$150

3: 250 GB Maxtor SATA HD $160

Which would offer best performance increase for gaming and of course folding? I think I know the advice ya'll will give but when I asked around at work I was surprised to get "it's a toss-up" and 1 co-worker said switching to SATA would give the boost. I know that I will switch to SATA and PC3200 both, but what first? :huh:

:foldon:

#1, I almost guarantee you you wont see a difference with looser timings. Plus 1GB of ram allows you to do more stuff and generally makes your system faster. Im kicking myself for not getting a gig of ram. This generic kingmax ram I'm using kicks ., overclocks well and is rock stable.

The only way i would think of reccomending the HDD is if you moved alot of large files such as videos around. But if you did that you would be editing them so you would REALLY need 1GB of ram lol. Now if you want to, you COULD buy a 512MB stick of 3200, go buy the HDD as soon as you recover from that lol, then go get the other 512MB to give you a full gig after you run with that, unless you see you dont need it (im guessing you want it and personally I love having the extra, even it it is PC 2100 lol)

Mabey instead of OEM ram look for a value series of ram mabey by corsair or OCZ or somethign else. Other here can tell you their experence with these cheaper models of ram and most like vampire like them.

No dual channel probs with the KV7, it will let me use two PC3200 sticks in first 2 of 3 slots. I guess the answer is as I expected. get 512 now, then switch to SATA with another stick to follow if I'm still dropping games to the desktop.