Ducting

Raptor

Im gonna put a duct on my cpu and im wondering what other people have done or if theres a better way besides water cooling, im using a thermaltake venus 12 hs/f for my amd64 and its about 38cidle to 43c load wanting to get a lil cooler or get the load down a lil any suggestions and what are some ways of ducting?

i made a cheap shoddy air duct using a mc donalds cup and cutting a hole in the side of my case door - the plexiglass broke cause i tried to snap it like ya would real glass but it really did make a differance cooling it off -

it was one of my crappiest jobs when it comes to modding just because i broke the plexi but as for cooling it was awesome - load temps never got over 125F even when overclocked - when i started messing with the voltage it got upto 131F but that was it before i decided to goto water cooling

MindDrive1085134641reaktor_cup.jpg

i'd suggest a LONG duct for a 120-80 reducer... i used one of the pre-made fan adapters that's like an inch long and it messed up the airflow from my 120mm panaflo that does about 104 cfm... so the 120mm panaflo with 120-80 reducer fan adapter was WORSE than just a 80mm smart fan ii (79cfm) with 45* bend duct (aka Tt ducting mod)

i think the shortness of the duct messes it up... if you sort of did what minddrive has done and put the 120mm fan way out on the side and have a tapered duct to the 80mm sink, it would probably work a lot better than a fan adapter.

I used regular A/C duct on mine, because I can get it free from work lol. The stuff works great because it is flexible and you can get it in longs pieces and then cut it down to the size ya need. I ran one from my A/C vent on my wall to the inside of the case and then another short one from my side intake fan to the cpu.

EDIT: BTW with the way I did mine there was lots of redneck style duct tape involved lol.

I used regular A/C duct on mine, because I can get it free from work lol. The stuff works great because it is flexible and you can get it in longs pieces and then cut it down to the size ya need. I ran one from my A/C vent on my wall to the inside of the case and then another short one from my side intake fan to the cpu.

EDIT: BTW with the way I did mine there was lots of redneck style duct tape involved lol.

Got any pics? :)

I was considering doing a ducting mod from the rear fan to the CPU, after thinking about it for a while I decided against it because I thought it wouldnt look so neat and tidy. <_<

What I have heard the xp-90 (90mm fans) or xp-97(120mm fans) heat sinks are the best in cooling. I would make sure most air goes into the cpu fan and that is when it will cool the best also if it has a good heat sink.

I saw someone once used a top of a 2 liter bottle and cut to wanted size it looked a bit ghetto but seemed to work unsure.gif

I bet if you cut it clean and made sure there was no glue or stickers on it, it could look half way decent.