What Affects Loading Time?

DrAwesomePhD

Hey, im just wondering, what hardware would affect loading time? *is a newb* maybe its even software, like windows or something... but for some reason like when im running an intense game and i try to minimize it, it takes -FOREVER- to minimize (maybe like 2-5 minutes) and then loading up as well, takes a REALLY long time...

Im thinking this is harddrive, but i might be wrong. Thats why im asking ^_^

Cut down on on some of your start up programs..

My system specs. :

ThemalTake Tsunami Dream Mid Tower

2Gb DDR@ PC2 4200

1x250 GB Hitachi HD

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

ASUS P5AD2 Premium Mobo

Ultra X-Connect 500 watt PSU

ThermalTake Jungle 512 Cpu Cooler

P4 550 (3.4ghz )

ATI Radeon X800xt pci xpress

WinXP Service Pack 2

ya, i already did that, cut everything from the startup process (more or less)....

it could be my harddrive, i think right now (havent put in the new HD) i am running a maxtor 40gb 2mb buffer 7200 RPM program-files-hard-drive.... is that the problem? will it all be good once i convert to the raptor?

to be blunt and vague at the same time - EVERYTHING affects loading time ~_~

all the hardware in your computer will affect loading time.....

having your drives (cdrom+hdd) not configured correctly-- make sure that there is a MASTER and a SLAVE set if you have multiple cdrom drives, and if you have multiple harddrives - using CABLE SELECT (CS) will slow down boot times because the motherboard/bios is trying to determine which one is supposed to be used for what and where they are located on the ide cable - setting IDE Master and slave devices for harddrives is different than setting them for cdrom drives----

master harddrive should be at the END (Set as master) of the cable and the slave should be on the middle plug (set as slave)....

MB=======Slave===Master

this is the exact opposite for cdrom drives when a cd burner drive is involved - the READ cdrom drive should be closest to the motherboard on the cable(set as MASTER) and the BURNER drive should be set furthest (as slave)

MB=======master===burner

if you mix ATA speed harddrives on the same cable then that will slow down loading times - if your master drive is ATA100 and your slave drive is ATA133 then when your puter loads it slows down the faster drive to the slowest drives "fastest" setting - so if you have an ATA66 drive somewhere in there then you are definately slowing down your puter

DEFRAG once in a while :) --- all your drives - even if it says that you dont need it!!

all the software installed on your computer will affect loading time (services, HKey\Local machine\software\microsoft\current version\run, "USER started programs"--- listed under "User Name" in the processes tab)

Major things:

RAM

CPU

HDD

More ram, less work your HDD needs to do... CPU will speed how fast your ram "talks" to the rest of the PC... As well as other things.

A good conditional for you

If RAM > 1gig then

elseif CPU < 2.5ghz then

Speed up CPU

Else

Upgrade ram

Elseif HDD < 10,000 RPM

Upgrade HDD

End if

:-) VB anyone?

i am running a maxtor 40gb 2mb buffer 7200 RPM program-files-hard-drive.... is that the problem? will it all be good once i convert to the raptor?

That hard drive is proably a main cause. The raptor should really speed things up. Also it helps to have your hard drive and primary cd drive (whichever one you put the game CD in) on separate cables.

It would read faster. If you have them on separate hard drives it would probably be faster, but on the same drive, its gotta read from two different locations (I would think it would be slower, but not sure of the exact speeds).