Who Skis?

LobbDogg

I'm wanting to buy my own ski equipment here as winter is approaching. As of right now I don't have anything but I'm first looking into boots so atleast I can keep my feet comfortable. But in general is there some brands that I should avoid, is there certain qualities I should look for in boots, skis, bindings? I'm a real n00b at this stuff, and I just want to get the most for my money, I don't have a problem shelling out a little extra if it means that the equipment will be better and provide a better experience.

TIA.

you would be suprised. .as a long time skier i have found that you pay for the brand of somthing.. and the quality of the cheep stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff.. it realy is.. i would go find some used stuff to start off..

• 4 weeks later...

I am not a skier, but my dad is and he recently bought all new equiptment. For boots he called around the local ski shops to see if they had any boots leftover from last year. He ended up finding a pair of $500 for... $250. I am sorry but I do not know the brand name, but I can find out in a few days when he gets the. They were brand new, just from last year. They fit him fine and he was thrilled with the deal. He bought Atomic Skies which come with Bindings.

first you need to go to a place that sells gear and try on the different models of boots to see which size fits best and is most comfortable. Do Not buy from an online retailor without first trying on a pair for yourself. Different brands have different qualities and everyone's feet and preferences are different. Some brands offer boots that are like snowboard boots and don't hold your body in a forward leaning position which can be uncomfortable for some people. I've been skiing/skiblading since I was 14 and uncomfortable boots will ruin a day on the slopes. Some good brands are Soloman, Lange, and Dalbello.

i've been skiing since i cant remember and was gonna start racing but just didnt have the time or money. NEVER buy boots from an online store or over the phone. Always buy at the shop. Every manufacturer has different materials inside the boot which will feel different of course. Always buy boots that are a bit tight because after 4 or 5 times in them, the insulation compacts and stays that way so the boot actually gets a bit loose if you buy something that fits too comfortably at the shop. Ski boots can actually be comfortable. Rossignol makes a boot that has a fabric tongue and a softer plastic shell, which is very comfortable. Buying a boot also depends on the type of skiing you do. If you like going fast and being aggressive then u r going to have to look into the more expensive stuff. If u like carving then the medium priced boots will be great (they are also good freestyle boots). The cheaper ones are for the slow people on the slopes. Atomic boots are good for racing/some freestyle, Saloman is more some racing/freestyle, Nordic is racing/carving, etc. Dalbello is ok but not good. Do a lot of research since you will be spending a lot. Also, the people at the shop are always helpful and usually know a lot. Skis depend on the type of skiing obviously, the shop can set u up with the length. Don't cheap out on the bindings though if you do buy a whole setup. Crappy bindings can suck if you're skis start to chatter or if you like freestyle, moguls, or glades. Make sure that they are at the right weight setting too. I had some when i was younger that would pop if my skis started chattering and i would end up 100 ft downhill from my skis. I'm pretty hardcore so I'll give you an idea of what I bought this year. Atomic SX-9's ($700 i think), Atomic bindings ($175), Soloman boots ($500). You probably would want to get stuff that is a lot cheaper though since you are buying your first set. Look for a good sale or leftovers. Don't ever get used boots or bindings. Skis are ok used. Hope this helps you. :)