Confused

Fanatic

Great topic huh? Sorry if this in the wrong place. I'm going to try and make this short. I have built a 64 system(see sig). Since I have been trying to make it run stable. Here's the good part. I ran memtest for 6+ hours, memory passed. Ran HDtune for 6+ hours, HD passed. Ran hotcpu or whatever it is for 10+ hours, system passed. Ran Sandra, system passed. Downloaded all new drivers and things. System is still now stable. Reformatted using XP home and pro for a total 7 times. System still is not stable. It reboots randomly. I could be surfing the net, chatting on MSN, palying games, just sitting at desktop etc...just up and reboots. Have tried to use Event viewer(not fraking help there). Posted on MSI forums no help there either. Posted on Windowsxp.com newsgroups, no help there. Really the only thing that has not been tested is the PSU and I can't find a program to test just that( if you know of one please let me know). I have also tore the case apart 3 times and made sure/plugged everything back in/made sure all was plugged in correctly etc.... Does anyone have anything else I could try? I have also unplugged all not critical equipment and ran the system. Going to post this quick before it reboots again..lol

Could be a power suppy issue ( assumign your not OCing) try unpluging all unnessasary items, extra HDD CD roms, lights, etc, and see if its a bit better,

also check virtual memory

and temps, I had a fan that woudl stautter and would therefor overheat

I have done that Balrog. It is apperantly a windows XP stop error issue, The thing is that those are harder to figure out than a power supply gone awry. If you or anyone has any experience troubleshooting stop errors give me a hollar. I did find a site that helps, but it tends to keep repeating the same thing over and over.

when you boot up, does it boot up to windows? if it does, get the details from the "error report" from windows, might be because of a mini dump, i just recently posted any solutions for this problem

you no the error message when you go to windows and then it shows the screen..

"windows has recovered from a serious error, would you like to report this to windows?"

get the details and post it here

sounds like you have a very unstable overclock - check your ram settings - they might not be set specifically for your ram, check your multiplier - back it off a bit - check your processor voltage - make sure it isnt too high or too low (read what it says for your processors specific voltage requirements) - turn off any UNECESSARY devices in your bios - LPT port - ya dont need unless you use an OLD printer - I/O port devices you can disable - if you use a PCI sound card - SHUT OFF ANY ONBOARD audio/game ports/ect ect

ok - since you have formatted so many times - 1 more time wont hurt right??

save all your computers drivers do a disk or harddrive partition

disconnect your computer from your internet (unplug the network cable)

format

re-install windows

install ALL drivers for your computer (reboot when required)

install antivirus software

install any programs that you intend on using

connect your computer to the internet and FIRST THING is update your virus definitions

goto http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...t.aspx?ln=en-us and select "Custom install"

click "Review high priority updates"

select every update available and then click "Go to install updates"

click "Install"

reboot as necessary

keep doing this until NO MORE updates are available

i highly suggest against installing any updates for drivers from microsoft unless you are having a problem getting your drivers to work normally because just because it comes from microshafts driver update doesnt mean its going to work on your system - stick with the manufacturers drivers first

I can't reformat anymore, well kinda anyway. WindowsXP has this nice little activate thing that only allows you to activate 2 or 3 times before you have to call Microcap(thats crap), but anyway I already had to call and catch all the crap about why I have reformatted so many times(Argued with MS rep).

Wraith I previously had the window error set to reboot, I changed it so I wouls see the stop screen. So far it has been IRQL not less or equal to and paged to a nonpaged whatever the rest is. I have looked for answers, but 1. time is precious right now and 2. I am so aggrivated with it when I see them I turn red.

BTW MindDrive there is no overclock, I have no had the system stable enough to OC since I built it.

I already had to call and catch all the crap about why I have reformatted so many times(Argued with MS rep).

And then they ask themselves why peoples get pirated copies <_<

When you buy an original, you should be able to do whatever you want with it :blink:

Edited by kobalt

lol what the heck u talking about? ive formatted literally about 35 times now on the same system and i dont need to call... i think u are just reinstalling not formatting

no that happens if u have a non-corporate xp edition. I had xp home and after awhile it wouldn't let me activate anymore. btw: formatted everytime.