What Should I Get?

Mad Cow

Currently I have a Hitachi Deskstar 80GB, 2MB buffer, 7200 RPM, IDE Hard drive. Is it worth the money to upgrade to a better hd? If I did, I would go SATA and stay around 80GB. I have thought about getting a 36GB raptor and keeping my existing hd, but that is the expensive route. Would a good <$100 SATA hd have a noticeable difference from what I currently own? Is the raptor worth the extra money? Thanks

I only need 80 GB, I have never had more than 40GB of files. So I would rather spend on performance rather than size. Would I notice that big of a difference going from a 2MB buffer on IDE to an 8MB buffer on SATA? And how much would the 10k improve that further?

what i do, is i use one harddrive for ALL my program files (a raptor...or soon to be...) and i u se a second (a slow, cheap, big one) for backup, storage, etc...

So, if i were you, and you were willing to spend the money, id get a raptor and keep the 80gb as well for storage, so you have two harddrives. install windows and everything on the raptor and just use the 80gb for storage. thats just what i do.

newegg.com does have the $25 mail in rebate on the 76gb raptors as well, so they total to be about $125-$130 for a 76gb 10k RPM 8mb buffer SATA harddrive, which is what i just bought and will be buying a second for RAID 0 and see how that works ^_^