Crazy Coldness Idea

DrAwesomePhD

Alright... so i just got this idea for making a crazy cold watercooling setup... It is really two-fold...

First, you get a big reseviour (like a HUGE resevoir) and fill it with water, cover it up, then submerge it in ice... now you got really cold water running through your case...

Or, you can take your radiator, and do a similiar thing, submerging that in ice or putting it near a cold... or better yet just leave it outside during the wintertime submerged in the snow haha .. just need long tubing and a powerful pump...

id expect the resevior would be better to use because the radiator would probably freeze being such a small amount of water running through the pipes and all...

Anyway, has anyone tried anything like this, and if so what were the results?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk the winter thing may work but ice has to be refilled in order to maintain that level of cool. I WAS goign to duct my AC through my system's rad but now that summer's almost over i dont think ill fool with it. might try something from the window near my case though hehehe :D

hmm...? i dont get it :-/ well, im sure the CPU -would- heat everything up, but im talking like 10L resevior with comprable amount of ice, and set the loop like:

CPU ---- PUMP ----- RADIATOR ----- RESEVIOR ----- CPU etc..

This way, the radiator dissipates some of the heat of the CPU, and the resevior has TONS Of ice around it, so im sure it -would- melt but i think it would last for atleast a day...

What do you mean by condensation? it is all external...

hmm...? i dont get it :-/ well, im sure the CPU -would- heat everything up, but im talking like 10L resevior with comprable amount of ice, and set the loop like:

CPU ---- PUMP ----- RADIATOR ----- RESEVIOR ----- CPU etc..

This way, the radiator dissipates some of the heat of the CPU, and the resevior has TONS Of ice around it, so im sure it -would- melt but i think it would last for atleast a day...

What do you mean by condensation? it is all external...

I think he means, this really cool amount of water travelling, would cause condensation or something

Cold water entering the case can cause condensation to form on the tubing as well as the water block. There are ways to insulate against this. Also, people have used water chillers to accomplish the same effect on a more sustainable basis. You can actually buy aquarium water chillers for this purpose. Others have modified drinking fountain chillers as well.

If I felt like getting insulation with my wc system I am going to buy soon, I'd try this, I have four ice trays, and a few built into the freezer, lol, if I got one or two more, I might have enough ice, though my grandma would get mad cause there'd be no ice for her ice-water :bah:

Edited by JeremyA