Questions About Raid

DrAwesomePhD

Not sure where this belongs... so i just figured it put it in miscellaneous. Anyway, i have an ABIT IC7 MAX-3 mobo, and i just got a new 10k RPM 74gb Raptor in, to replace my old 40gb 7200rpm (2mb buffer) program-files-hard-drive. I was hoping, is there anyway i can use the raid capabilities of my motherboard to exactly copy the data onto my new harddrive, and then remove the 40gb one (because im giving it to a friend) and i will have every program working perfectly as it is now, but with a new harddrive?

I am also planning on doing data stripping and getting a second of these harddrives, is that a good idea? Does it perform a lot better, or will i notice the performance, with the data stripping or is it a waste of $150?

There's probably a way to ghost the 40GB onto the Raptor, I've just never really messed with doing that, it always seemed like too much of a hassle. I'm sure you could Google up a mess of stuff on that.

As for adding a second Raptor and running RAID 0, you should see a decent performance increase. Those who have that setup say it was worth the $. If you do get the second drive, you would probably have to reinstall Windows anyway. Intel has a program that's supposed to build a RAID array while you're in Windows, but in order to do this you would have already had to have pre-installed the RAID drivers for the Intel RAID controller (not the Silicon Image one) before a Windows install. So, regardless of whether you can ghost the old HDD to the new Raptor, you're still looking at reinstalling Windows to get your RAID 0 array.

There may be another way that I don't know about, however, so maybe wait and see what some of the others have to say.