Bridging

+-geek-+

here goes(see drawing for clarification):

I have cable internet going to my cable modem into a router(netgear rt311, no wireless, just a simple router.*192.168.0.1*) that goes into a switch. This switch is then connected to 3 desktops:192.168.0.6, 192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.4. I am refer to 192.168.0.6 as the 'main' computer, it is the one with the confusion. I have internet acces, network access and everything working fine. Now we have a laptop with a built in wireless card. Then i find a cheap wireless PCI card (D-Link DWL-G510) and think hmmm, i can make an ad hoc between the main computer and the laptop, and bridge it into the home network to get cable to the laptop wirelessly). so the wireless card is installed. wired network is still working fine, i set up a nice little ad hoc network and the main computer and laptop can communicate fine. Now with windows network bridging, i just select the 2 networks and say bridge right? i do this, make sure the bridge is set to 192.168.0.6 and dns is set to 192.168.0.1 ok...now i still have fine wired network communication, and i have internet access and all is fine. except the wireless is...dead....the laptop says connected to the wireless network but it doesnt get an IP and if it does...its all screwed up and somthin weird and the main computer doesnt say anything about the wireless connection except for "not connected". so it doesnt seem to work. look on the internet, discovered promiscuity mode stuff, enable it on wired and wireless cards, still no luck. i tried sygate office network, seemed to do somthing better...i got the wireless and wired networks working at the same time and i could ping the router on the wired network from the wireless, but i still had no internet access on the laptop for some reason, i have tried some stuff with ICS but that doesnt seem to work either. sorry that was so long but i dont have any other way to describe it! thanks!

Edited by +-geek-+

i just read the last bit of what u wanted to know...sorry...it was really long and i am too lazy to read that much haha (thats sad)..... anyways....

perhaps your having an IP issue, over the summer while i was home, i had a wireless router in my basement, and my computer and laptop were in the garage, instead of running a line to the router, i just connected my laptop to the router with the wireless, then ran a line from the laptop to the desktop and bridged those, the problem with it was it gave me IP errors, cause the router would assume just one IP is needed for the laptop when 2 is needed, so it would give me a 2nd, but for some reason it screwed up ang gave me IP conflicts...it fixed itself but the point is you might have the same deal.........try setting all of your machines to accept IPs from DHCP....then try static....static is better anyways haha...

with a router...dont EVER use ICS....the router will take care of it for you.

Im suprised at one thing though.......i have never seen a router give a 192.168.0 address.....ive only seen 192.168.0 on windows ICS....... all the routers ive seen use 192.168.1....and these are cisco certified....idk...whatever haha

My explanation how to fix it..

A similar issue came up at my last lan part, you can't set your laptop to 192.168.0.7 because it is on its own little network with your pc. You can use a shared internet connection through that PC by setting up a differing residential gateway adress, such as that pc's adress, and the subnet mask shoulds till be 255.255.255.0, if not let windows take care of that. You will have internet but you can't lan all 4 pc's at something like a lan party unless the computer you did the hoc dealy with is hosting it.

Im suprised at one thing though.......i have never seen a router give a 192.168.0 address.....ive only seen 192.168.0 on windows ICS....... all the routers ive seen use 192.168.1....and these are cisco certified....idk...whatever haha

With any router I've ever used, you can set it up to be 192.168.0 or 192.168.1 etc, even with some routers you should be able to even set it up to be something along the lines of 10.0.0.1 or whatever. Each router has its own default configuration.