Need Ideas, Also, Cutting My Case?

Hey, all. I am new here, and have just started on modding my case, planning to window my power supply, and maybe put a window in the top of the case if I can find a way to do that.

Right now, I have these extra cold cathode lihts that were tacked to the top of my case for lack of room inside (looks bad, but great at lan parties when people are trying to peek at your screen, flip em on, instant blindness. hehehe.)

I am going to move them to the OTHER side of my case, and I want to cut some slots for the light to sort of "vent" out of. I have a dremel, would that be enough to cut the case material? Also, what bit/thingie/attachment would I use to do this?

PDRM1167.jpg

PDRM1172.jpg

(Heres where I am going to put them after I feed the wires through the case)

Here is my case right now.

Yes, I do know that the huge clusterfk of wires at the bottom is an eyesore, going to try and fix that tonight.

Yes, I know it is dusty as hell, I am gonna fix that, and yes I know the sleeving is crap, im going to fix that as well (didnt know how to take off the molex connectors the first time, so forced the sleeving over them. LOL!)

Any ideas for what I should do as far as modding this case?

PDRM1171.jpg

WHOA!!! clean up those dust bunnies nesting in your heatsink!!! LMAO hehehe - that poor coolermaster heatsink fan isnt gonna last too much longer with that much dust built up

a dremel tool will work but youre gonna go through a whole buncha cutting disks - i would suggest using a jigsaw and put tape over the paint before you cut as to not scratch the paint

straighten up the wires a bit and try and hide them as much as possible and ur on ur way to a great mod :)

just be carefull when picking out your design before you start cutting - plan well and take your time - make sure you know exactly every cut you are gonna make before ya make it :)

GOOD LUCK :D

I just forked up the ribbon cable for my HDD"s and dont have a spare. However. I do have a spare IDE cable that is the same as the one Im using to connect my CDROM/DVD ROM to the mobo. WIll this work just the same? Tried connecting it to the HDD, and it worked jsut fine as far as fitting in correctly. Cable has the same # of pins, and HD *is* IDE. Are the cables the same even though one seems thinner than the other?

It wouldn't fit if it wasn't IDE. Some are cheaper and looks almost diffrent. If you're still using flat cables, get yourself rounded ones. They almost giving them away, especially the copper ones ;)

And yes HDD cables are the same as CD roms and other devices, except as you probably know floppys. <_<

Heres some advice i can give you.

like Mind said, clean the dust. it makes the case look old and out of date.

place heatshrink over the sleeving. cable ties make you look lazy

Choose a definate theme and stick with it. what i mean by this is: dont have one green fan one blue fan one tri led fan. and 2 red cathodes. this isnt the circus.

the exposed metal on the inside of the case isnt very pleasent to look at. if u have the time and patience paint that bad boy.

when cutting the top window, make sure to take your time. Your case looks like a raidmax and im preaty sure those use steel for the framing, so your jigsaw will make alot of noise. if you don't own a jigsaw, make sure to buy fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels. i bought 10 of them about a year ago. and still have 8 of em. and i did some preaty significant modding to my case.

To reduce wire clutter, flip the HDDs around.

You can checkout my case to get some ideas :)

post-3-1097196998.jpg

wow generall....i didn't even think about turning my drives around...DOH

but anyways...just about all what general said, get some paint and paint the chassis...probably black for the yellow case.

also...i've got a question. why do you have the cathodes BEHIND the mobo tray? do you have a window in both sides of the case? :peers:

also...i love using jigsaws to cut holes....i never leave home without it :) (ok, so maybe i do). but get the highest TPI (teeth per ince) blade you can find.

No, I dont have dual windows, but there are these nifty vent-y thingies, and the cathodes were just sitting atop the case. It was ugly. It looks kind of nifty now, but I need to get some cutting wheels, or a jigsaw to start working on that thing.

Also is it *safe* to stick a shopvac in the box to clean up the processor fan? o.O?

I dont quite have a shoppyvac handy, but I do have central vacuum, and it works pretty good..

<edit > also, I just got a round IDE to replace the one i farked up, but for the others,I just made them round myself.. thetto style, but hey, what works works, yeah?

Ill replace them with round ones when I can. And about the heatshrink, I dont have a heat gun handy, mine burned to death a few weeks ago, must get another one.. hmm

Edited by SnowWolf