Makin Ice

E Fudd

Used to have family in the ice business back when the ice boxes were wood. Was talking to a relative (he's 80) about how his uncle made the ICE. He said as best as he could remember they used big diesel motors attached to big flywheels that ran pumps. They pressurized Ammonia and salt water and ran it in pipes around 300 gallon steel tanks - of water that that would freeze. He said you could really smell the ammonia

and thought that when the Ammonia is pressurized it got colder. --- ??

Hmmmm PRESSURIZED

This is just a old Story from a old Guy I heard today

Good idea if your tank is good, imagine if all this blows :huh: amonia is a little dangerous, if you want to experiment on cold go with CO2 tanks, it's cheap and if you run it so it's a little restricted like in a hard cloth bag (like made with a leg of your old jeans) you will produce dry ice, and that's cold

Point is, find a way to restrict co2 close to your cpu and that stuff will do just like those vapo things and maybe a little colder (i think they use freon) ;)

you'll have to also find a way to return that co2 back to gas though :D

:D atleast on the west coast we use ammonia for very large freezers -10 to -40 it's very stable when compressed , its used in job's where freon cant (hehe i do this for a living)

I work in a freezer. Anhydrous Ammonia is the refridgerant. It can cool lower (i think???) than freon, cost less in the quantities needed to cool a 500,00o cu. ft. building, and is easy to detect leaks(it can be smelled at 32 ppm(parts per million, lessthan what you smell when you open a bottle of cleaner.)

Well went and mixed a 1 part Ammonia to 2 parts distilled water brew. The first

visible difference seemed to be the tiny bubbles in the resever tank. Dodged a bullet because of a small pressure build up, thinking it must be the additives.

Vented My cap and so far everything looks good. So far under load it seems to have knocked off about 8% temps under load over the stock Kit antifreeze setup.

after a few hours the bubbles cleared up?

Some new to all this so take it with a grain of salt. :ph34r:

Edited by E Fudd