Sign in to follow this  
wookie75

What Should I Choose? :unsure:

Hi everyone,

at the moment ive got a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X card in my p.c., i want to upgrade but as i havent bought a graphics card in a while i dont know what to go for? ive read reveiws about pci express cards and the benfits of both makes of cards, and im still in the dark as what to go for? :unsure:

this is my system spec

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.1 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Memory 512 MB pc3200

Operating System Microsoft Windows ME

Hard Disk Drive 120 gig

Cdrw 52x12x52

Ant help would be greatfully accepted :D:)

Many thanks Wookie

Well, you'd probably need a new motherboard if you wanted a pci express gfx card. If you're not wanting to upgrade, then just get a 9800 pro. The only advice i would give is to stay away from Nvidia. Oh yeah, if you're rich, you may aswell get an X800 :P

i suggest a 9700pro if you want to go on the cheep side.. a 9700 pro plays doom 3 on the high setting with no problem.. even my 6800Gt has problems on ultra high

thanks for the hints guys :)

ill stay away from nvidia then, how does the x600 compare with the x800 and would it be worth getting 1 if it were the right price?

thanks for the hints guys :)

ill stay away from nvidia then, how does the x600 compare with the x800 and would it be worth getting 1 if it were the right price?

the x600 is pci-e only (i beleive)

and it's not worth it...i think it's another 'se' version of a card (crappy memory, etc.)

also...when he said stay away from nvidia cards, he probably meant stay away from the 'FX' series cards. the new 6800 series is awesome....from the regulars all the way up to the ultra.

Nvidia Has a Lead in D3 So If a 6800 gt is strggling in D3 , Thats means Ati's card is doing worse.

I would stick with Agp , PCI-E is no faster than agp , I would get a 6800 or a 6800 gt if you can afford it

m sorry if I upset with my last comment ;)

so the 9700 is a good card for my set up? how does the 9800 and the 9600 compare with the 9700?

and by the way whats a thread hi-jacker? :huh::huh::huh:

thanks again Wookie