Sign in to follow this  
pi-dickens_project

Intel's Next Cpu

Well heres the thing. Sooner or later We "computer Geeks" will choose AMD. I know it. Becuase

1 We Overclock(Cheap AMD CPU prices)

2 Becuase most ppl in this forum is an AMD person

3. AMD already came out with 64 before intel. so they know what to fix and all those other revision...

But for Intel next CPU. I think they are gonna do 64 for a while then 128? But all the stuff that u hear. Will come at 2006. 2006 will be the best year ever. Everything comes out. =p

but i will choose AMD if ONLY if they chnage their mounitng clip...really annoying do hard to take out and put back in. And make it compatible with P4. cheaper heatsinks. get intel ppl to comvert to AMD =p

:blink::blink::blink:

Ya know BigRed........ I don't think he read your previous post

Ok, since none of you seemed to actually manage to answer the original question...

Intel's next actually different CPU will probably be based off of their Pentium M's. Considering thier Banias core at 2.0ghz completely PWNS a Athlon XP 3200+ in every task, should be good...And less heat

Awesome, i got my question answered... after 48 responces, but whatev. :P

Guest FxXP

Its not annoying to remove the stock AVC A64 heatsinks. I find them a h*ll of a lot easier then the stupid retail Intel S478 heatsinks with the four hooks, two per side.

Now you need to adjust four screws for the 775 models, yeesh.

Edited by FxXP

those little "twist" after you "push" pins for 775 chips aren't bad. try dealing with a socket 604 HS. you have to have to line up 2 seperate plastic clips up top, then put the bolts thru the board and the clips, with the correct washers, THEN use the hex nuts to hold em on. now remove the plastic BOX that the heatsink comes in (this thing is a PITA to get off). then you mount the HS to those chips. then you install the uprights. next comes the ducting shroud over the cpus, and FINALLY the fan goes on.

components.jpg

and that's just for the heatsink... you've got 3 more steps to once you figure out what all that crap is for :)

Edited by bigred

personally i like intel just because it is cheeping in the sence that i get more bang for my buck when i dont want to go 64bit.. but.. i have been having major issues with my p4.. my overclock has been drastically going down.. even after new corsair 3200 XMS pro.. so right now i only got 200mhz.. and anything els just freezes after prime 95 or doom 3 :(:angry:

and that is the beauty of the athlon 64... it WILL run 32 bit stuff and does it very well. something intel's itanium could not do (imagine a $40k system running 32 bit apps slower than a PII 233)

Guest FxXP

To think anyone can afford an A64 system now. The 2800+ has dropped price like crazy and the K8V-X is a cheap-a** board. I know you hate Asus bigred, but I have built 4 systems with the K8V-X so far and none have come back.

someone mentioned (i think it was FxXP) that they sold the P4's and made more margin on them...

WHile working for a computer manufacturer over here in the UK, i was able to look at the cost price of the two brands' processors. AMD's were lower cost price, but even by selling them cheaper than the P4's, the company still made more margin per AMD sold due to the high cost price of the P4's in the first instance. The AMD 64's are still so cheap for the money! its madness.

i want to trade in my p4 2.53 :(

AMD should have a tighter price margin because they use only 200mm platers and jsut recently went over to 90nm both of which improve yeild per plater, also I think* they have a larger die area. They are simply marketting their prosessors cheeper which is why they are selling well, but they need more to compete at that level

well i can tell you one reason why big business chooses intel processors over amd - its because of endurance plain and simple..... how many of you have been in an office where there are people that just sit using machines day in day out and not one single person can tell you the last time the thing was cleaned out..... even the IT department cant tell you when the last time most of their workstations were blown out for dust....

now factor in heat - what happens to an intel system that "overheats" it keeps running but slows itself down to "safe" temperatures... an amd system keeps working at full speed right uptill the last single bit of data gets sent through and poof - it burns out - toast - dead.....

in the business world something like this happening is a very expencive price to pay, not only do they need to go out and buy a new processor, they gadda pay premium prices for service techs to replace said hardware

ya sure all hardware is subject to burn out - but intel's proven durability in outlasting a heatsink fan failure against amd's fan fails- the processor is dead - makes it that much more of a valuable processor

its not just "INTEL" or "AMD" your buying, but the level of R&D that goes in the actual making of the architecture within the processor

intel has always been ahead of amd - ever since the x86 architecture race.... amd just makes things cheaper and must comply with the rules set by intel due to the PC/IBM based machine

intel has had the 64bit processor out for a while now - and because there isnt any TRUE "End-User" "Consumer" use for 64 bit processing, intel has kept this processor under wraps for high end business applications

whoever said that MAC's are slow obviously hasnt toyed around with a dual G5 processor puter.... with thier MASSIVE bus speed--- plain and simple - intel and amd both have something to learn from the effectiveness of Apple/MAC computers - though i hate using their operating system - their hardware is pimp

intel's next processor after the dust settles with this xeon/p4 clone passover is going to be pretty much the same as any other advancements - its going to be faster, do more, and is going to require the purchace of all new motherboard hardware - same story - new year, prolly going to make a quad processor on a single chip type thing - the chips footprint is gonna be huge but not as big as 4 processors type thingy im guessing

hyperthreading has done wonders for computing - its faster plain and simple - i just sold my amd laptop (1.8ghz) so i can get another mobo for my p4 system - and after using this amd craptop - i wont EVER use amd again - man i hated "waiting" for crap to open

funny how the P4 prescott runs hotter than anything else... also funny how paying for R&D on the P4 F's and EM64T xeons means paying AMD too... oh well