Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

New Folding Contest

man i would be happy to win any of the prizes (even the p2 combos that might be offered) my best machine is still an amd 1.4ghz with a 10gb hard drive! i do work but my parents always need the money so i give it too them... so that's why i haven't upgraded.

I'm a little confused... I already passed the 100k mark BEFORE the contest started... Does that mean I need to reach 250K to get a ticket? :huh:

would be interesting to see this question answered, i wondered about that myself, using only the ranks as a means to get tickets doesn't seem like the farest thing, would seem that those who have actually folded more and longer will have less opportunity to win..............

i was more fond of the previous one where tickets were based on how frequent work units were turned in, it rewarded consistency, not speed

you know it would probably be best to just start over. it would allow you to get more tickets. i mean if im lucky i will get 2 but if i started over i might get 4-5. however i think this would be cheating and a lack of integrity so i won't do it. i just thought of it so i decided to post it.

a valid argument, you know the total overall score means nothing, just a way for us to compete with each other and track our progress, each wu is a piece of the puzzle, so starting over would not actually harm anything, the database doesn't care how much you have done, it just wants to know what info you are turning in

I agree with gravy! I would like to know the answer to that 100k question also.

Actually I was tied up with the internal audit department here at work prying into one of my systems.... :(

Let me point out that this is a member-initiated and supported contest so, while we have the mod's blessing to do this, it is not an official OCC contest so any blame resides squarely with us, not the mods (end of disclaimer)

I believe the intent that we had is to encourage people to start and keep folding. so it is intentionally slanted to encourage that. The folders in the lower echelons need more encouragement than those who have already made a commitment to the project and to the OCC team.

So if you have reached the 100,000 point rank already and are below the 250,000 point rank at the end of the contest, then you get 1 ticket for being at the 100,000 point mark. You would not receive any additional tickets for moving from one rank to the next.

This is supposed to be for fun and not for determining ways to scam a well-intentioned contest. Be careful, because it could backfire on you in that you would not be recognized as an OCC folder if you just change your name and are not a member under that name (just as in the previous contest).

Folks, this is just something a few of us came up with to help encourage folding. We're providing the prizes out of our pockets and are spending time and money to do this (and, no, we are not eligible to win any prizes ourselves). So let's have fun and encourage each other.

We're going to be coming up with some freebies along the way that everyone will be eligible for that will be awarded as encouragement so, fire up those rigs and

:foldon:

nemo this is gana be the biggest headache you have every had.

Nah, I was married for 19 years and have 4 kids- I can handle anything. Besides, I'm still having fun with it- even used it as an excuse to put together a dual Opteron server- gotta have a server to colllect all these stats- right? :lol:

thanx for the explanation Nemo. I think this is a great idea to get new folders and inactive ones folding. I am 100% behind it and will help if needed. :foldon:

oh, i'm not going to start over, never have never will, just observing the slant, it's all good, i fold 24/7 365 days/yr no matter what anyways

Just had a chance to check this thread out...

I wrote those rules up based on a group conversation so I guess I need to defend them :)

First and foremost this contest is to support a team effort. The member point spread and points gained per day is in no way close. The members that discussed this contest came to one conclusion, the contest should better the team. How can this be done without leaving some in better positions than others and encourage most to do more.

This is what we came up with. 20 members out of 560 bring in 65% of the teams production. That is 3% of the team does 65% of the work. We specifically wanted to target the 97%. Kurosen, you are in the top 1.5%, so you like I and roughly 14 others are in the same boat.

I will agree that this contest targets the upper 90% of the ranks, however if we want to see a good team increase this is where it will come from. We tossed around the idea of how we could level the field and did our best. Let's face it this contest is NOT going to make everyone happy but it makes 90% of them happy and spurs that 90% to do better.

So the answer to your question is just this, if you were at the 100,001 point at the start you will not have a ticket and need to make it to the next rank to gain one. But step back and look at your rank, if your at 100k your a major member and should be proud of level.

In short there are 15 to 20 members that are not going to be in good standings with this contest. I