Dell Hdd, Cd-rw, And Dvd Proprietary?

Dial M 4 Monkey

I've currently got a Dell computer, but I'm looking to change it. I'm trying to keep costs low because I'll only have had the computer for a year in Dec.

I mainly need more ram, but can only use dell ram, but won't be using this computer for a long time...balh blah blah.

So, basically I'm gonna un-dell it. I plan on buying a new mobo, ram, PS, and case. I will use the current proccessor in it, my Radeon 9800 pro (Dell said it was not proprietary). However, then i got to thinking, will my HDD, DVD, and Cd-rw still work? If I have to buy new ones, well the cost increases again.

I called Dell to ask them, and I got a guy who, i believe was mainly trying to keep me from getting off my dell computer. So, i don't wanna trust what that guy said yet,.

If you guys can help me, thatd be great. Anyone know if Dell uses special DVD, HDD, and CD-rw, or if they just buy them from some where i can use them with a non-dell mobo?

If i can't, then I guess I'll just save up, sell this computer to someone and build a totally new one. That sucks though, with this computer being only a year old.

I assume it is Dell Ram because i asked earlier whether normal ram would work in a dell mobo, and was told no be a couple of people on the forum. So i figured that dell must make or modify their own ram so that it works on their mobos. I'll get the ram out a little later to take a pic. In the middle of something right now though. But, yeah, its DDR.

TheSternMystic to the rescue! (Check my title underneath my avatar :P)

Dells only proprietary thing is their Motherboard. Almost sure their PSU's are the same as anyone else's in their newest models...Someone can verify with the picture I'm gonna post...

For you, I'd say, buy new Motherboard, Buy new case, and you're set. Their RAM is 3-3-3-12, so that isn't the fastest...It's made by Micron, I have a picture handy right now...You can use it in any computer you like...Dell motherboards are picky as hell about the ram they take, so that's why they said other ram wont work...

EDIT: I just reread your post...The only reason you'd want to Un-dell it, is if you wanted to overclock your CPU...Otherwise, you can buy ram fairly cheaply (ALOT less than Dell charges) from www.crucial.com. Crucial/Micron make Dell's ram, so they actually garantee compatibility...Make sure you get the CAS 3 PC3200 stuff...

EDIT2: BTW, what model/specs is it?

Its a dimension 4600.

p4 2.6 gig.

9800 pro

some sound card, can't remember

512mb ddr...uhh..edit: actually according to that crucial site, I think its 3200

40gig hd

i think thats about all the important stuff. Yeah, i had planned on overclocking, realized i couldn't with a dell (months after i got it) and started to consider un-delling it.

Found another problem today though. Just realized that all of the above is running on a 250 watt power supply. I figure i should fix that, but not sure if other power supplies would agree with the motherboard. Someone said something about the wirings being diff. So, i figured I'd go ahead and just get rid of this dell mobo so I don't have to worry about stupid proprietary issues anymore.

so i figured i'd get a new PSU, mobo, RAM (maybe only 512 of some good stuff and use the 512 of my current for a little while, maybe jsut 1 gig of some good stuff), and case. Then, is 2-3 months get some water cooling stuff in it, (my house is always really hot and I hate loud fans, plus water cooling intrigues me) and start over clocking it.

Edited by Dial M 4 Monkey

Dell is conservative with their rating. about 98% of all other powersupplies are rated at max. pulse.

In other words, a PSU can maintain say, 400watts, for 3 seconds, then all bids are off. Dell's power supply is really around 300watts, if rated according to other companies like Thermaltake, but they rate it on a 'can maintain this almost indefinatly,' which is 250watts.

I'd say, if you wanna overclock right away, things to put on your buyers list is...

New Mobo

New PSU

New Case

Decent CPU cooler, SP-94 (Link) is the most recommended in the past for Air Cooling an Intel.

Use everthing else you already got, and maybe down the road upgrade the RAM to something good...

EDIT: And since you have a SL6WH, you'd probably be able to get about a max. of 3.2ghz on an SP-94 with a Panaflo.