Weldzilla 2 "a New Beginning" X-treme Mod!

It was a cold and dreary January morning. there was a knock at my door, hmm? So I looked and saw it was the fedex man with my new Enermax CS-181-B Case!! This was great! I was off work for another few weeks and I wanted to do some case modifying. Actually I wanted to redesign a case to fit my needs. you see my case sits on my desk right to the right of me at about a 45 degreee angle which faces the rom drives away from me. Well I wanted them to look right at me!! So I stripped my new case down and set it up on my bar between the kitchen and dining room. I drank some coffee and just stared at it. Do a little cyphering. I did not like the cheesey blue plastic pci and agp locking device, I did not like the blue plastic 2 x 80mm side fan holder. I hated the handy blue plastic fan clips. The freakin non-removable mobo tray ran the length of the case with about 30 rivets holding it in!! I loved the overall size of the case and the plain look of it. but, I could see it had an attitude problem!! I swear it smirked at me when I was pouring coffee. My back was turned to it. I turned around fast. I told it, "If you got something to say to me, say it to my face" That's when I picked it up and headed to my secret lab, a regular chamber of horrors for a computer case!! I knew I had to cut it,to put it in it's place and to make me feel better. I looked around trying to decide, Do I use an axe?Chainsaw? (No it's a steel case) cutting torch? hacksaw? dremel? Then I saw it. My Skil-saw with fiber metal cutting blade installed and ready to go. So I drew a few straight lines around this biatch case. I held it down tight and i cut it and I cut it good!! Now it was time to Mod!!! I live for this stuff!!

Here is a pictorial history of all that happened that cold January morning.

1.jpg

Ok so I looked at it awhile then put it on my bar and stripped it!! woohoo!

4.jpg

2.jpg

You know I was not too thrilled when I noticed the mobo tray ran the length of the case!! So I poured some more coffee and kept cyphering. When I had my back turned I could have swore i heard the case say," Take a picture butthole,it'll last longer. Yeah that's right it had a bad attitude!! So I picked it up and packed it out to my shop. I cut it, I mean I cut it good!! It got real quiet then!!

5.jpg

I chopped right through the mobo tray! and made it fully removable!!

26.jpg

I decided the only thing I could do now was rebuild it in a way that would fit my needs. and offer what other cases DON'T!!

20.jpg

9.jpg

That was about it for the first day!!

WZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it is simple for me. I'm a welder!! Well I don't weld as steady as I use to :(

as I now run the shop. I like putting my hood on and getting after it. I used a small 110 vlt wire welder with .023 solod core wire along with CO2 for cover gas.

The next day I had to cut the left panel down to size as it was now the front panel of the case!

23.jpg

you see the left side of case is now the front. Where the front would normally be is now the right side of case.

the original rear of case is now the left side. And yes that means the right side is now the rear!! Are we confused yet!! Stay tuned!! Well it was time to cut a window opening into what is now the front of the case.

21.jpg

I also put on the front bezel just to help me see where it was going.

22.jpg

I did not like the hole I put in the top of the case. So I built a new top!

27a.jpg

Cuz I offset the part of the case that houses the drives I had an 8 1/2 x 2 in. gap to fill. So I used a pice of side cover for the bottom and some pices of some metal barstools I modded for a guy to fill in the bottom corner.

17.jpg

46.jpg

Then it was time for some 120mm fan holes. Drill press and hole cut saw!!

39.jpg

37.jpg

Hey it was time to prime and paint the frame of this case!!

49.jpg

Did not like the legs. Would change them later

WZ

WZ

Back to the assembly part of this. Well with all pieces painted it was time to put it together to have a look.

53.jpg

55.jpg

59.jpg

Still it seems llike something missing in the leg department.

Well I bought a heater core for a 1976 Buick Electra Limited. It accomodates 2 x 120mm fans perfectly

63.jpg

Rad Box time! and a hole in back of the case to accomodate all this cooling system!!

65.jpg

68.jpg

More to come.

WZ

You should consider selling that case idea to a major company or something. Thats such an awesome style I cant believe nobody has thought of it before. I wish i had the time and skillz to mod cases like that!