Programming Languages

LobbDogg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surely a rating of 10 should mean you can do anything and everything in the most efficient tightest code, blindfolded, using only your left little finger to type...

basically a complete guru in that language and you've written books on it

i agree with M1Sports20....reading man on how to do something shouldn't qualify as "knowing" it. I took a C++ class, so i know a little bit, and sure i could look in a book and figure out how to do things...but i sure as hell don't say that i know C++

and the same thing with spoken languages, I took 2 years of french in high school, and i could probably stumble through a conversation....maybe....but if I had a translation manual, sure I could make it through a conversation, but again, i wouldn't say i know how to speak french, that'd be stupid. Because what happens when somebody asks me how to say something, and I don't have my book....I'll look stupid. Then the person would say, i thought you knew french? then what would ya say? My point is, you shouldn't have to rely on a book to "know" a language ;)

Edited by sdy284

Yeah maybe, I guess I was trying to say that if you "know" a language reasonably well then you shouldn't have much problem looking at the man pages or whatever and picking up on it almost instantly.

There's no way on earth I can (personally) remember every single C function there might be, it's return types, it's parameters, if there's any specific return values I should be aware of that possibly indicates an error; I would still say I know the language pretty well? I've been able to help some people with their Java/C stuff (both on here and at Uni), so I wouldn't say I am totally hopeless, atleast :blink: I do tend to read man pages on functions, because I just don't have the brain power to remember everything :)

My view is obviously a little different in some respects, but oh well!