Programming Languages

LobbDogg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That's only two types, STUPID." Hehe ;)

Insert that OTHER type lol

anyway,

HTML == 9

java == hummm idk much better than Lo :D. IDK ask him how good i am at it.

ASP == 1

BASIC == 1.5

yeah thats about all ive had a chance to play with. well...java's more like work since it's part of my 4th period calss.....and fo LoArmistead it's almost a reason to kill yourself :-\

I really don't get the number thing... is it on a scale from 1-10? that's how i'll post..

C++ - 2.5ish

PHP - 9

HTML - 10

CSS - 7

Java - 2ish?

Assembly - negitive 20?

Shell - 9ish

ASP - 5ish

Perl - 5

Basic - 7

VB.Net/6 - 7

Edited by clamothe

Guest M1Sports20

markiemrboo, newer programmers learned how to program starting with c++, they did not grow up with c. I can create complex programs with an OOP language. C is not an OOP language, and i can't write could without useing some some of the std libs, or i do not choose to. For example iostream, i use the object cout rather than printf. Some people say c is more productive that c++, although i do not believe this since i like code reuse.

Our Uni starts people off with Java (for a whole year), then C. No one seemed to have a problem going from Java to C. I suppose it's just a personal thing or something. You don't seem to have a problem with other non OO languages though?

Guest M1Sports20

No i don't have problems writing code winout OO, i just hardly know any of the c sytax, such as printf("asdf, %s); or something like that.

Java is very very OO based, are you sure the students are programming with only c and not using any c++ extenstions.

No i don't have problems writing code winout OO, i just hardly know any of the c sytax, such as printf("asdf, %s); or something like that.

Java is very very OO based, are you sure the students are programming with only c and not using any c++ extenstions.

Yes. Strictly C... I am one of the students... :)

That's not really C syntax though, that's just a matter of being able to use functions? Which you should be able to do really? :P

printf("asdf"); would have done just fine there.

int moo = 1;

printf("moo = %d", moo);

:)

Guest M1Sports20

The poll was for how well you know the language?, Knowing the syntax of the language isn't the only measurement of how well you know a language. If you don't know any of the functions, then you don't really know the language do you. If you have to look up every command or function, you don't know the language. Another question, why are they teaching you c from java. That doesn't make sense. I could see learning c++ from java but not c. thats going from a OO language to a seq langague. Don't get me wrong C is a great language and can be sometimes be more productive that c++.

It is indeed. Sure you do! I don't know every word in the English language, but I still know the language rather well! There's a dictionary for words I don't know, just like there's man pages for functions I don't know about too :)

I think knowing the language should mean that you can read the man pages of functions and work out how to use them. Indeed, before we did a brief go through of C at Uni, reading the man pages for functions generally confused me, it's not a problem any more. So, I can't say I really agree to be honest :)

Why, who knows. No one I knew seemed to have much a problem, which I would put down to Java being very 'syntax' similar.

Guest M1Sports20

wow then put me down as a 10 for every language , cause i can read man pages or a reference a book, then write the code in any language