Shut Downs!

xpandapuss

Well, I didn't where exactly to post so here it is.

For the past several weeks my P4 system started random shut downs. It occurred immediately after a power failure [electrician started hitting breaker in the breaker box without warning....very fast on/off switching]. First, I couldn't boot into windows files lost or corrupt, recovery didn't help. Reloaded O/S....system fine for five minutes after installation, then shutdown...restart.....then 1 minute later restart--this happens anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes everytime the systems boots. System never got a chance to be overclocked, so still at stock speed. I've replaceded everything [P/S, memory, vid card, HD, mobo]...except for the pocessor [P4C 2.8]. I've swapped the memory, P/S, Vid card and HD into a AMD system and no problem, runs just fine. I just got the new mobo [iC7-G series] yeserday and the same exact problem. Even bumping the CPU voltage higher didn't help. Any ideas??? [before I go out and buy a P4 3.0 processor]

Edited by xpandapuss

Well the processor isn't dead--maybe dying. It operates, but within 1 to 5 minutes the system will reboot....especially when doing installs of apps or while online....just does it randomly. **longest it's been up was for about 12 minutes....then BAM! restart**

My sisters sytem did something similar after it froze and she could only restart to get it unfrozen. I thought that random reboots, or power cycling would be a hardware issue, but it turns out that Windows was corrupted after the improper shutdown. I did a repair install of Win XP, and it is fine now.

Didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed it.

What about your motherboard? The first board I got was bad, and it killed my CPU. The CPU shouldn't die unless it gets too hot from overvoltage.

Check the thermal-interface under the northbridge heatsink too. Mine had gotten all dried-up and would cause restarts and memory errors. Cleaned off the factory interface and replaced it with Arctic Silver 5, and got it back up.

Motherboards usually kill CPUs. I would keep an eye on your vCore.

I swapped the motherboard 'cause I thought that was the problem after I had already changed the power supply and memory modules. When I installed everything over to the IC7-G mobo the problem persisted. Since I've changed the processor yesterday not a single [random] reboot--*knocking on wood*