Cat5 Or Cat5e For Better Transfer?

skibar350

I'm running 170ft of cable between two building and the cable is running outside with Linksys WRT54G routers in each building and I was wondering if it matter which cable I use ( CAT5 100mhz or CAT5E 350mhz ). I will use NForce ports on some pc's and Linksys 54G cards on others. I would like to get the best transfer throughput I can get for the distence.

If there isn't a major price difference between the two, get the cat5e. Cat5e is cable of gigabit ethernet speeds while regular cat5 isn't. You obviously wont be able to use gigabit speeds now, but it is something to keep in mind for the future. Are you going to wrap the cable in any type of protectant sleeving to protect it from the elements?

If there isn't a major price difference between the two, get the cat5e. Cat5e is cable of gigabit ethernet speeds while regular cat5 isn't. You obviously wont be able to use gigabit speeds now, but it is something to keep in mind for the future. Are you going to wrap the cable in any type of protectant sleeving to protect it from the elements?

I'm not sure what type of sleeving I could use to protect it. If you have an idea what type of sleeving I should use please pass it on. I do have a gigalan on my motherboard so that is something to keep in mind, thank you.

Edited by skibar350

Are you going to wrap the cable in any type of protectant sleeving to protect it from the elements?

Those cables can take up to 60c, just make a loop so that the water will drop off from the loop

http://www.techflex.com/product_picker.asp

has some stuff to protect cables, just disregard the expandible braided sleeving :P, look at that stuff for outdoors

Edited by roadkill

I would recommend using either PVC piping (1/2") or metal piping to protect the network cable. If there isn't a lot of foot traffic around, then the PVC piping could work. You would probably slip the cable through in 10-20 feet increments. Basically, the PVC piping would be in 10-20 feet lengths, and those individual lengths would be attached with PVC cement as well as the proper mating adapter. If you have any home improvement stores in your area, drop by one of them and tell them what your situation is. I am sure that they can help you out.

So I take it I shouldn't loss any throughput just using standard CAT5..? It would just be easier to upgrade later is what I'm hearing, correct? The reason I'm asking is because I live in the Redwoods and the cable will be run from tree to tree through ceramique posts. I can't get CAT5E locale, if anything at all and if I order it I have to order bulk that I will not use all of. So money is a factor for now! The cable sleeving is a great idea i didn't think of that, thank you!

So I take it I shouldn't loss any throughput just using standard CAT5..?

Cat5 has a maximum bandwidth of 100mb/s. Cat5e has a maximim bandwidth of 1000mb/s. In terms of the signal from one router to the other, either one will not make a difference in the signal strength over a long distance. Of course the linksys routers that you will be using will not be able to take advantage of gigabit ethernet speeds.

It would just be easier to upgrade later is what I'm hearing, correct?

Yes, if you wanted to use gigabit ethernet later in the future the cat5e cable would be compatible. The regular cat5 cable would not be capable of gigabit ethernet speeds.

You can get cat5e cable online for pretty decent prices, but they come in a 1000ft spool. Of course if you got that you will have to buy the connectors, crimper, etc. to make your own cables.

Um, buy a spool for like CAT5e $60 from radioshack or something... it won't make that much of a difference, and you'll have plenty left over for patch cables and LANs. Always buy in bulk when it comes to cables.

EDIT: Or, you could get some better routers and get some CAT6 :P

http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp...28cat6+cable%29

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

why not go wifi, and spend the save effort on some good security?

I would love to go Wi-Fi because I actually have three building to wire together. But I live in the redwoods and the main house that will carry my satilite internet is on top of the hill about 350ft away..arrrgh! I already have satilite tv and the coaxal runs down to the lower houses but I couldn't run CAT past 265 ft. I thought about running fiber optic and use converters at each end, not sure. If I could find a better way of setting it up I would. I thought about using cAntennas, or Prime Star dishes but can't find out whether or not I would be able to upload from that kind of setup. I would have the same setup as I have now. ( Gateway pc to router to router in each buildings and to pc from the each router wired or wireless ) I just trying to find out the best way that won't break my b*lls or wallet.. :lol:

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I just found a custom firmware for the linksys wrt54g that allows wireless bridging (WDS) as well as a TON of other features. This may be your answer to your problem (if it works you wont even have to use a long ethernet cable from router to router). Details are located here while the firware download is located here.

I just found a custom firmware for the linksys wrt54g that allows wireless bridging (WDS) as well as a TON of other features. This may be your answer to your problem (if it works you wont even have to use a long ethernet cable from router to router). Details are located here while the firware download is located here.

This is GREAT STUFF man! Thanks I will read and try this out! I only have a short way to go by any standards so if I can do it wireless that would be great.