Troublesome Mom

Newport

I wouldn't give her a username onto your computer unless she doesn't have her own. I mean, it's YOUR computer... she doesn't have a right. I told my mom that when I was in high school, and she left me alone about everything that had to do with my computer. Then I locked it up. But now I'm in my second year of college, so I have to worry about my four roommates snooping through my computers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at 16? madness! stay rent free for as long as poss....

I am pracitcally paying for like 60%+ of our bills... I make like 5 bucks an hour more a week than she used to in her old job... Last week, i pulled a 30 hour week on top of school working 7 days too! Although the normal pay isnt bad, i got payed time and a half for 15 of those hours lol! *bling bling*

I hate when parents try to cross the line , things like the vchip and netnanny are BS... Educate your children about the dangers online and that TV and reality aren't the same thing, then learn to TRUST your children (and that's coming from an adult you whipper snappers :P )...

For your situation Newport, I'd use this:

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/securi...k/default.shtml

just set it up with a "user defined bitmap" (i'd take a screenshot of your desktop and paste it into a bitmap so it looks liek things are running normal) and run it whenever you are away, when you come back, put in your password (which doesn't show any prompt btw) and you're unlocked :)

EDIT: Though it says it only works with Win95 - ME, I have it running on my XP comps at work :lol:

it sounds like your mom has some trust/boundary issues with you. you may want to try some form of this:

pick a time when you think she'll check up on you using the computer, and act all annoyed and secretive. when she's expecting to find you hacking the whitehouse or whatever, you'll be hiding the fact that you just sent her an e-card or you're doing something very boring and normal. from there you can argue that you need your privacy without her worrying that giving you privacy will make you turn out crazy,.... and then you lock your comp :lol: (you may have to repeat a couple of times to build a pattern)

with women, moms included, they'll believe the most ridiculous lies in the world, if you present it properly. conversely, they'll also believe ridiculous lies that work against you with almost no proof (i'll avoid any specific examples) :P . give them reasons to trust you, even flimsy ones, and usually they will.

just my 2c

Ok, we can't blame her about this. I mean, ever since she found out about Hunter... :P

Anyway, I used a shareware program to hide my personal folders before I made myself a new account. I would advise buying it though if you plan on uninstalling it. It craping deleted all my stuff when I uninstalled. PM me if you want some advice on how to keep it from doing that.

While I can't find that one, try this one instead: http://www.softheap.com/ffp.html

Like everyone said. Set your browser to not keep a cache, and history then I would use a program like fincrypt to encrypt your journal docs. That way she would have to know the password to decrypt it. Besides, I dont think you have the "right" to privacy until your an adult. Right?

In the world of geekness, you have all your rights to privacy if you paid for it all.

Explain to your mom that it's your personal buisness whats on your computer, and that she can get her own. Or, just set her up an account on your computer and put a random password on your account. Make sure to make all her permissions 0 :D.

just sit down and talk with her. Tell her you need your privacy and you aren't breaking the law. Tell her how much you do for the family and everything like that and that she should respect your property and privacy.

After teh conversation, if you catch her going onto your computer again, lock your computer are put a PW on a screensaver.

try using a screensaver and tick on resume password protect viola no more snoopy snoopy

EDIT:i would also try and shame her (not in a bad way) like if you cant trust me with a simple computer/net then how much faith do you have in me!? she may see the light....then again i dont know your previous lol

Edited by dean25