Eterm + Tail Weirdness?

markiemrboo

I'm trying to setup Eterm to show a transparent and borderless terminal which runs tail -F .. in that I have succeded. However, when I exit X... or kill off the Eterm for that matter, tail is still running! Any ideas why and how I would go about solving it?

I'd get a screenshot, but I don't have gimp or anything installed yet :) But basically...

While Eterm is still running:

759  p0  S+     0:00.24 Eterm --borderless --buttonbar=0 --trans -f white --s
 762  p1  Ss+    0:00.02 tail -F /var/log/messages

Killed Eterm:

762  p1  Ss+    0:00.04 tail -F /var/log/messages

tail isn't a daemon, so therefore it would take over the terminal, and you wouldn't be able to use it.

759 p0 S+ 0:00.24 Eterm --borderless --buttonbar=0 --trans -f white --s

762 p1 Ss+ 0:00.02 tail -F /var/log/messages

Notice how Eterm is on p0, and tail is on p1? That's why when closing the Eterm it isn't killed.

It's like if you open multiple Eterms, they will all be on different pX.

Whups, misread that first part about you trying to run it...

Try running tail -F /var/log/messages&

instead of tail -F /var/log/messages

Edited by Zarkhalar

Well spotted, didn't notice the p0, p1 thing. I set Eterm to be running tail with -e, it doesn't run tail normally :P I don't need to be using the terminal. I just wanted messages scrolling on my desktop all transparent and cool.

I am indeed using FreeBSD.

I tried aterm but it doesn't have a borderless option and I like my XFCE4 :(

I don't quite understand why tail is going on p1? I would have thought it would have stayed on p0?

EDIT: I'll try that... wouldn't the Eterm just quit straight away though? Bear in mind i'm using Eterm -e <command>

Ahh, if you are using -e then it will just run in the background :/

The reason it does that is because when you start eterm/aterm it launches the program, which then launches another program to be ran inside it, like bash, tail, etc.

When you run eterm, it starts at one p, but starts the program it uses (bash, sh, tail, etc) on a different p. On my system, closing one closes the other though :/

I've never used FreeBSD, but it isn't that huge of a difference than linux, is it? I'd figure it's mainly how the INIT is ran, and not the kernel.. :/

What Window Manager are you using?

Hmm, odd. Maybe i'll bring it up on the FreeBSD mailing lists then.

Not that different in appearance, if I sat you infront of a FreeBSD box you probably wouldn't tell the difference :)

XFCE4... what are you using? I'll play about with truss.. maybe that'll be able to give a hint as to why it's not exiting or something.

EDIT: Just installed IceWM. Seems pretty good! I can set application profiles type thing so I can remove borders and stuff from aterm. It's also got a neat thing where you can set what layer the window is in, so before when I clicked this background terminal it'd raise it and go in focus and be annoying.... now I can set it to below or desktop and if I click it.. it won't raise above anything else... Hide it from taskbar etc etc etc... Small little details I know, but it gives it that extra authentic kinda effect!

Just need to figure out how to change colours....and....where my run command menu option thing is.....and...... various other niggles. Doesn't look as nice as xfce but never mind!

I think my tail problem is a bug in tail or something, it actually did exit when a new line had been added to /var/log/messages, or when it eventually changed. Don't quite know how to fix that one. I've read something about roottail and something else, so I am gonna try those. Possibly just have it as a cool background normal terminal so I can run commands, since I am missing any kind of run option with this window manager :)

I run fluxbox, and I really like it :P

It's a simple WM, but it gets what I need. It's menu-driven with a very easy to edit configuration file to update the menus. Just pop it open in a text editor and you're all set for new run options...

I love the themes too :)