Difference Between C/e Chips?

Whats the diff between the p4 3.x"C" and the 3.x"E" or prescott/northwood? im a noob at p4's and only have had one of them which was a p3 733mhz. which one is better the c or e?

No, or at least there a mixed blessing. For one the Prescott's dont oc very well (due to the high as hell temps) and the extra cache is applied on the die that it doesnt actually help[ the chip all that much. I think in half the apps you run you will get around a 5%~10% increase in performance, while the other half will yield a 5%~10% decrease.

Oh yeah, they run hot as RADEON said.

Oh and did i tell ya they run hot?

The also HOT btw.

Il'l shutup now. :D

I've got a C and E running side-by-side. There isn't a noticeable performance difference imo. If you don't have a good reason to get a Prescott, get a Northwood.

Here's a good comparison:

http://www.digital-daily.com/cpu/prescott-c/

and their conclusion

In any case, the Prescott installed on a Socket478 motherboard is an interim option. Only after the release of motherboards built on the new LGA775 socket the new processor can be used effectively. For now, it makes absolutely no sense to but a Prescott: Northwood processors are still more attractive to most tasks. They are cheaper, faster, emit less heat and are better compatible to most motherboards.

Let me chime in on this one: yes, northwood is the way to go if you're going on the 478 pin Intel chip way. Although you have to hurry, production of that chip is said to be discontinued and many stores are running low if not out of the Northwoods.

yea I asked this same question a few weeks ago... I also researed the heck out of it.

What I found is the E has a dif arcitecture that MAXs the vcore out already. 1.55 getts hot, somthing about 90nm pathways. This makes it hard to OC becouse the first step in OCing is bringing the vcore up. this makes the chip run alot hotter. One site had a post that read alittle like this.

Your P4 C OCed to a vcore of 1.65 runs as hot as the E running at 1.50. So you can imaging bringing the vcore on your C to 1.8, just imagine the heat! That would be the same as your E set to 1.65.

Oh, the E can be found cheaper than the C if you look around.

I just (today!!) got my new 3.4c. I'm all ready to put her to the test... too bad my psu went up in smoke :(. I spent $278 on the 3.4c retail. After my research I'm thinking I can take it to 4.1..... 3.4e I'm thinking not 4.0, 3.8maybe.