Wow.... My 6800 Gt Is Being Really Gay!

Feandil

It worked fine 2 days ago!!! before I installed the 6800gt.... :(

:withstupid:

It worked until you installed a card that needed more juice. Sounds like a bad PS to me.

The fact that your hard disk does that wacky shutdown thing also seems power-related.

Good luck

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It worked until you installed a card that needed more juice. Sounds like a bad PS to me.

The fact that your hard disk does that wacky shutdown thing also seems power-related.

Good luck

dude... I'm not dumb... I've been saying that for awhile....

I'll try a better PSU... and the HD thing makes me think it's a PSU problem...

Good luck

the 9800 xt requires more power than the Gt

Good luck

the 9800 xt requires more power than the Gt

the OCed BFG 6800 GT?

It's oced to 375 out of the box?

Is your machine a dell or hp or something liek that, or is it custom built. I knou you said you had a 500watt PSU and most store bought comps have small PSUs, but from my experience store bought comps not take that easily to high end cards. and if any of you guys reading this has a store bought comp, don't yell at me. did you also get rid of you 9800XT? or do you have a friend who will let you borrow his card from his comp for an hour or so. If so, pop it in and test your graphics and see if it does teh same to your HD. I still say just exchange your card again.

Is your machine a dell or hp or something liek that, or is it custom built.  I knou you said you had a 500watt PSU and most store bought comps have small PSUs, but from my experience store bought comps not take that easily to high end cards.  and if any of you guys reading this has a store bought comp, don't  yell at me.  did you also get rid of you 9800XT?  or do you have a friend who will let you borrow his card from his comp for an hour or so.  If so, pop it in and test your graphics and see if it does teh same to your HD.  I still say just exchange your card again.

no

it doesn't do that.... I can try again.... but I doubt that it will do the same thing with another card....

the 6800 was fine and dandy.... and so was this extra 8500 I have sitting here... I put that in.... and it's fine.... the HD thing doesn't happen

It's compelety custom

Edited by Feandil

I swear that sounds like thermal throttling kicking in. If the card had serious problems, it would show not only in gaming...but in idling and IE usage also. If it were a PSU issue, just simply putting the comp under load and loading the rails would show signs of under-volting.

Temp senors have been known to be way off, or there could be a problem with the TT kicking in pre-maturely.

See, I'm not completely crazy!

I posted on this about a month ago, been busy so haven't come here much.

Anyways I think I may know what is happening.

I got the eVga 6800 Ultra, and it was doing the same thing. It was giving me 6k-9K on 3dmark2003 with my fx53.

It was stuttering, wouldn't complete tests, etc. Lockup for 15-a minute.

Anyways. Like Nuke said try disabling the agp fast writes. But first try this.

Check for a bios update..and/or (relating to same issue...you might be able to do it through a bios update, or do it manually) I did it thru bios.

Anyways....Go to nvidia properties. You know right click, properties, settings, advanced, 6800 nvida tab.

Then look for clock frequencies.

Then click manual overclocking.

Now...Look for a settings pull down window...The visible one before pulling down is 2d...the other one is 3d

Check to see they are both at the SAME SPEED.

My eVga 6800 ultra had 2d at 400mhz and 3d at 425mhz

This discrepency, plus the fast writes..or maybe not fastwrites were causing the problem.

Now I get ~12,500 3dmark03

I bet it's a discrepancy between the 2d and 3d speeds.

Try doing that, if that doesn't work, search your vid cards forums (if any), and look for a bios update...download it, put on floppy, restart comp with it in, run it, restart windows, and you should be fine.

Like I said, I was going ape feces over it, was one click away from a newegg RMA. when I checked in on the eVga forums, and just about every other thread...with the forums blowing up, were about this issue, and I think I've heard other cards have had it to.

So see if there is any discrepency, if so change it. Try it out.

If not, try the agp fast writes disabling. Try it out.

Try bios update. Then try it out.

That should be the cure, I hope, like I said, it seems to be a very common problem. Good Luck!

Edit: Forgot...you need coolbits program...free...just google it, unzip it, and merge it with registry. That will give you the clock frequency options.

Edited by CardsFan88