Wow.... My 6800 Gt Is Being Really Gay!

Feandil

is your comp OC'd? if so, is your AGP locked at 66Mhz? Also, a while back, i got some PNY Verto PC3500 Ram and guess what, I ram Memtest86 on it. It was defective. I got though 5 different sticks of ram until i got one that didn't fail memtest86 in 5 minutes. the final stick ran for 2 days no probls. you might just have a bad card again.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest testing out another hard drive in your computer if you can, that way you can narrow it down to whether it is the graphics card or not. Also if you say that 3 cards in a row have been "bad" perhaps you have a screwed up AGP port.

I don't have a extra HD.....

Each VGA problem has been completely different.... even on different mobo's

the best thing I could do

would be to take it to get this stuff tested at best buy's computer help desk... it's free and I'll know right away... and solve all these questions without much trouble....

my comp is STOCK... no OCing at all

every component was fine..... it all worked flawlessly on the 9800xt and 6800.... but just different games had small problems.... and it was always ONLY one game....

Edited by Feandil

Its not doom3 is it? and your not running at a god awfull resolution are you?

No.... no.... I can't even run it now....

I can't run anything advanced.... before the 6800 ran it fine at 1024x768 and AA on 4x and Anti on 8x.... around 30 FPS

it's either the card or PSU... that's all I can imagine.... cause otherwise I would think something would have shown up before now....

running 3d mark 03.... for around 5 seconds the animation is normal... then it locks up like I described....

on the beginning animation it's over 250 FPS then cuts off to 3 or 2.... when the HD stops spinning and it just freezes it's so strange....

I think it's the PSU the more I think about it.... cause when the first 9800xt's heatpipe control wire burnt up... it could have ruined the PSU.... maybe shortened it's power output....

That's the only part I didn't replace after the short occured.... so I'll run to Comp usa and get a PSU for a week till I can get mine Replaced...... if that's truly the problem of course....

Edited by Feandil

I would get rid of that PSU anyway. 19A is kinda weak, Buy a truepower, or OCZ. they both run 34As. I run a Truepower 430 and i had no problems. i also shorted a few times and its still fine. most psu come with schock protection

I have the same thing with my 9800 Pro it has only worked properly once since I got it now its back to crap. Except mine benchs normal but games are get this horrible stuttering. The one time it did work was at another friends house after a fresh install brought it home and it sucked again. Didn't change a single thing from when I left his house to my house. Check your outlet maybe with a multimeter. Try the card in a friends comp. I have a Enermax 460W with 33A on the +12V line and I still get it. Im hoping to solve it soon ill post if I finid anything that works. But definetly check the PSU first.

Edited by BloodySunday

With the artifacting and then the slowing down of your graphics card have you considered heat? What are your temps like? Ambient and processor.

no it's just not the problem....

VGA temp 60 degrees

CPU temp 47 degrees

ambient temp 33 degrees....

I swear that sounds like thermal throttling kicking in. If the card had serious problems, it would show not only in gaming...but in idling and IE usage also. If it were a PSU issue, just simply putting the comp under load and loading the rails would show signs of under-volting.

Temp senors have been known to be way off, or there could be a problem with the TT kicking in pre-maturely.

Check your rails under load with a multi. And if possible, get a temp probe in your card to see the real temps.

Edit: Also, you say your CPU temps are at 47C, is that at idle? If so, you need to get that chip cooler...as the new S939 chips begin to throttle themselves at 60C. 60C under load wouldn't be hard, if your are idling at 47C on air.

Edited by Nuclear

I swear that sounds like thermal throttling kicking in. If the card had serious problems, it would show not only in gaming...but in idling and IE usage also. If it were a PSU issue, just simply putting the comp under load and loading the rails would show signs of under-volting.

Temp senors have been known to be way off, or there could be a problem with the TT kicking in pre-maturely.

Check your rails under load with a multi. And if possible, get a temp probe in your card to see the real temps.

Edit: Also, you say your CPU temps are at 47C, is that at idle? If so, you need to get that chip cooler...as the new S939 chips begin to throttle themselves at 60C. 60C under load wouldn't be hard, if your are idling at 47C on air.

well.... it's fine in idle and in IE and in general programs.... just in graphics....

the Neo2 mobo has faulty temp sensors.... there is supposedly a bios problem... so my real temps are probably around normal.....

if my Video card is too hot then I would feel that when I touched it....

we are talking about 15 seconds of hard animation... and it skips like craping crazy..... the Nvidia gram says 59 degrees....

I have the thermaltake gaint III heatsink for the processor.... and remember I had 2 other cards that didn't have this problem with this processor installed....

I swear that sounds like thermal throttling kicking in.  If the card had serious problems, it would show not only in gaming...but in idling and IE usage also.  If it were a PSU issue, just simply putting the comp under load and loading the rails would show signs of under-volting. 

Check your rails under load with a multi.  And if possible, get a temp probe in your card to see the real temps.

Edit:  Also, you say your CPU temps are at 47C, is that at idle?  If so, you need to get that chip cooler...as the new S939 chips begin to throttle themselves at 60C.  60C under load wouldn't be hard, if your are idling at 47C on air.

My 6800 runs 60 C Normally. I dont think it's thermal problems . I would go ahead and Rma the card and your mobo. Sounds like your agp slot is screwed up. because I had a 9800 pro Aiw and never had a problem in D3 , farcry. I dont have a Problem in the games now with my 6800 and I score 10.5K in 3dmark03. Im running a crappy 550 Watt Okia psu

I swear that sounds like thermal throttling kicking in.  If the card had serious problems, it would show not only in gaming...but in idling and IE usage also.  If it were a PSU issue, just simply putting the comp under load and loading the rails would show signs of under-volting. 

Check your rails under load with a multi.  And if possible, get a temp probe in your card to see the real temps.

Edit:  Also, you say your CPU temps are at 47C, is that at idle?  If so, you need to get that chip cooler...as the new S939 chips begin to throttle themselves at 60C.  60C under load wouldn't be hard, if your are idling at 47C on air.

My 6800 runs 60 C Normally. I dont think it's thermal problems . I would go ahead and Rma the card and your mobo. Sounds like your agp slot is screwed up. because I had a 9800 pro Aiw and never had a problem in D3 , farcry. I dont have a Problem in the games now with my 6800 and I score 10.5K in 3dmark03

the AGP slot worked fine before???

Why is it messed up now....

3 days ago it was fine.... I didn't even change companies just cards.... but if that will fix it.... I can do that.... just send it back for replacement