Which Is Better(in Your Opinion)

allthatisman

I just received my new P4 3.0E 800mhz I know the prescott cores are known to be hot and I'm looking for the best solution to keep the thing cool. I've heard many things about the mcx-478 from swiftech and several thermalright heatsinks. soo, which one would be best to cool this cpu?

think big for that heat monster. i have that swiftech on my 2.8C and its pretty good but on my 3.2E i just got that new thermal right xp-120 with a 120mm panaflow fan and it sits at around 54 to 57c under load. im working on putting together a wc system for it because the fans are a little loud for me. im planning on using a dual 120mm radiator and 2 quieter fans on it.

swiftech's heatsink has the best base finishing ever... you need not lap it.... they rely mostly on thick copper base and a whole chunk of heavy heat sink to cool the cpu with air turbulence around those aluminium spikes thingy to increase heat transfer efficiency...

thermalright's heatsink has workmanship quality too..though the base may need to be lap *case to case basis* its basically easier to install the heatsink with the fan as compared to your swiftechs.. rely on good airflow across the heat sink...and yeah they have heatpipes heat sink unlike swiftechs...which are like the Kings of air cooling? lol

you people and your Precotts....jeez...

Listen..don't get on his case for buying a prescott. for once thing northwoods arent even produced anymore so maybe he had no choice. The guy is asking for help, not for someone to yell at him for buying a prescott. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then dont say it.

Water is your best choice right now. you can pick up an entry level h20 kit for around 200 bucks. Which will include a 120mm rad, a res, CPU waterblock, pump, hosing, and the other odds and ends.

With winter almost here (Already here in canada <_<) you will be able to tame that beast. They do overclock well though, if u can keep them under 45 Load. which should be do=able with h20

Edited by General

jeez-la-weez General....(looks for head which has been bitten off.....)...just a little sarcasim.......maybe you havn't heard of that up there in Canada Eh..? Anywho....you will be amazed to know for sure, that I own a precott and was just about to finish the post long post i was writing with my suggestion when i was trounced upon. ...

The Prescotts are great processors if you can keep the dern things cool enough. In my case I think case temp has alot to do with it. However as is stands now my 3.0E just has a giant Zalman on it..(same kind as the one thats on my 2.4C)...and its doing reasonably well....but when the case temp raises more than 2or 3 degrees I see a dramatic increase in the CPU temp. Sometimes as much as 5 degrees..so to fix the problem for now till my WC setup comes in I have a 8 inch room fan blowing onto the heatsink. Lets just say that it fixes the problem...regardless of how tacky it may look...lol

P.S...i'll be in Canada in a week for a trip...if i can spot the Anti-Xav signs i'll come and stop by....

Edited by Xavirious_

Hey I don't mind criticism. actually I bought the presscott 'cause newegg had it on sale. I'm also looking at the swiftech H20-120 kit yeah, I know that most people advise against kits.But I want one so there. Anyway, what's the consensus for the best thermalright heatsink?

yea..thats a good kit...I am actually using a friends computer who is leting me test water-cooling systems on his 3.2E....i'll let ya know what I think is the best one...and as a side note.....Genreal does have me on the OC....2.4C @ 3.3...but I want to know what the exact number is.....3.3_ _ ..?? I'v been workin on 3.3 for a week now!

276 FSB. you do the math.

As for your post. You coulda very well of posted all of what you said in 1 post. also its not sarcasm if you say it twice.

It looks like that was all you were gonna say. I didnt know you were typing a huge response. in either case h20 is your best bet.

Now for a thread hijack :ph34r: What stepping you have on that chip?