Comp Shuts Down 5-30 Mins

Hello everyone. New to this site, so not quite sure if this is the place to put this question, seeing as I have no idea what is really causing the problem.

Here it is...My computer shuts down anywhere from 5 to 30 mins for no apparent reason (at least, I'm not getting any error codes, it just goes on me). This is what I have/am running:

WinXP Home w/SP2

Asus A8V Deluxe

Athlon 64 3500+ (939 socket)

Gigabyte CPU cooler (not sure exact kind...at work atm)

Kingston HyperX ULL w/heat spreader 512mb x 2

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 70GB

Plextor DVD+-RW

generic 8-in-1 card reader

All this in a Thermatake case w/5 80mm fans and and Thermaltake 420W PSU

I've run memtest and have gotten no problems as well as some stablity tests (where it heats up your CPU for 5 min and then runs tests) with no problem. I've made sure all the stuff in the PC is updated (including the BIOS, chipset, etc.). I'm kind of at a lost for what to do. Is it possible I just have a bad PSU or is there something wrong with how everything might be connected? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

What are your temps like? Also when you stress test your machine, how about letting it run for about 1/2 hour or so? Do you see a dark blue screen come up at all before it dies on you? or it just shuts off?

true...make sure you turn off auto reboot for when windows has a system error

press Window button+pause (or right click on My Computer) -> Advanced -> Under "Startup and Recovery" section select settings -> in "System failure" section de select "Automatically restart".

Edited by Trakfast11

Sorry took so long to get back, just got done a 10 hour stress test on the computer...no problems. I disabled the restart after error option as well. The I jump into EQ (that's where I can get the comp to go on me in 5 min) and sure enough...poof.

First thing that goes is video...then the sound starts skipping and eventually stops. Weird thing is, all the fans and the mobo light are still on. That's what happens all the time, sometimes it takes longer depending on what I'm doing (ie just surfing the internet) or really quick (playing games).

My temps go about 45-50C for the CPU and 24-26C for the mobo.

This whole thing was happening before I installed SP2 (did that because I thought it might fix the problem).

Yeah, just got back from deployment, so my wife said I had $2000 to spend on a computer...decided I could get more if I build my own. Unfortunately, seems like I just get more problems.

Going to uninstall SP2 now. Will see how that works out.

I seriously doubt its SP2 causing the problem, since you said it was doing this before SP2.

Have you run any video stress tests like Aquamark, or 3DMark 2003? To me it sounds like a video card issue. What video drivers are you using? if you have an extra fan of some sort, try aiming it at the video card. While grounded touch the back of the video card where the GPU would be to see how hot its getting.

Just some stuff to try.

And P.S. the main issue with Athlon 64 machines and SP2 is that it changes a driver that is needed for windows to boot with Athlon 64 CPUs, by using the recovery console, you can simply copy over the file that is no good with the one off the original cd and that will fix your problem. So you usually cannot get into Windows at all with that issue.