Sign in to follow this  
wamason

Good Backup Software For Raid Array

Hey everyone,

I have two Maxtor 80Gb ATA133 drives in a RAID stripping array, and I'm running out of Backup choices.

I have Norton Ghost (latest version), and when I try to use it and save the backup file to my other harddrive, I get a dump error (can't remember exactly), but I can burn the backup files to CD's with no problem. My problem there is I'm doing a 25Gb backup and I don't feel like killing 25 CDR's everytime I backup.

I really like Norton the best, but I can't get it to work, and Norton does not guarantee it with RAID :-/

I've also tried Drive Image 2002, and Drive Image 7 with no luck. DI 2002 is so slow it's pathetic, and doesn't work half the time. DI 7 requires that MS .Net be installed, which gives me nothing but problems as well.

I just got RestoreIt with my 9800 Pro and I tried it last night. It gets to "Copying data from C:" And it stays at 0%. It's still there now, and I started the backup at 1:00AM (It's 9:24 now).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent backup program?

Thanks!

I've heard rumors that some people have gotten Acronis True Image to work. Working with imaging software and raid arrays can be very tricky and very stubborn to get it working.

I'll try it next. I've also heard of NTA Backup Now! and Genie-soft Backup. Several reviews place them as the best backup programs even though they don't have big names like Norton or PQ. Anyone used either of those?

I have a RAID 0 setup and backup to another drive with Norton Ghost all the time....

I ONLY do it with the bootable floppy disk though... I have never used the Windows interface

what is the exact error..? have you looked it up at symantec?

have you done Live update to Norton??

I boot Ghost from a floppy or CD too. I'm beginning to think it has more to do with my other two hard drives that aren't in a RAID array, they're just formatted NTFS. I can backup my RAID drive to CDR's just fine, but when I try to backup to one of the other Hard drives, I get some kind of dump error. I can't remember what the error says exactly, but I'll be running Ghost again tonight and I'll write it down.

Thanks!

Seems like I remember reading about my ghost 2003 that it did not back raid, but that may have been a different program, that was 6 or 8 months ago when I read it

:foldon: