Sign in to follow this  
wamason

Flashing A 9800 Pro With Xt Specs

Hey everyone. I just got my hands on an MSI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128MB RAM. I'd really like to flash this card to 9800 XT specs, but MSI does not make a 9800XT to my knowledge. Does anyone know if it would be possible to use a generic ATI brand bios file or not? I've heard people on this forum talk about flashing a Radeon 128 to XT specs, but I'm coming up short on what bios files to use. I could overclock the card, but I'd rather try to make it into an XT :D

Anyways, if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

BTW, the memory is Samsung.

Thanks

Ohhhh! Excellent website! A thousand thankyou's InvaderTrax!!

I have one other question...well, it's actually a problem.

I installed my card, played some games and it performed fairly well. I was using the drivers that came on the CD, and then I decided to switch to the latest drivers and the Catalyst control panel. I had to install MS .Net, which I'm not to fond of, but everything went ok with it. But after I installed the latest drivers, Win2K would not load unless I ran in safe mode (It would freeze just after the desktop came up). I could revert to the old drivers, or use no drivers and it would work, but it wouldn't run normally with the newest drivers. Well, after several uninstalls and reinstalls thinking I had somehow screwed up the process the first time, now Win2k gets to the loading screen, and then says "the following file is missing or corrupt: winnt\system32\config\system"

That's all I get. I'm in the process of restoring an HD image from a few days ago, so I'll be ok in 2 or 3 hours, but I don't want to go through this again. Anyone have any advice? I've heard that the newest drivers and the catalyst control panel are really worth the download, but if they keep causing this, I won't be able to use them.

By the way, I had a GeForce 2 Ti previously installed, and I made sure I removed ALL of the drivers and files associated with it before installing my 9800Pro.

Once again, any help would be great! Thanks a bunch!

did u d/l the drivers from ati.com? if not then do it there, if thats the driver that is giving u problem then u might want to look into going omega driver. I think u can find their drivers at omegacorner.com

Omega are third party drivers. When you got the latest from ATi did you install the new Catalyst Control Center with it or the regular ATi control panel? If you had to install .net, it sounds like you're running the CCC. You could try using the regular CP with the new drivers.

Already tried it. I believe the new drivers are the culprit, not the control center by itself. I removed the control center and .Net and left the new drivers/old control panel and it still wouldn't work. Can I use the Catalyst Control center with older drivers?

EDIT: Ok, figured out the problem. My power supply. Apparently one 550 can't handle four 80 gig drivers, a DVD burner, CD burner, 9800 Pro, and an overclocked Athlon 2600 :-( Probably just defective. I went ahead and replaced it with 2 450 watt PS's. They were all my local shop had and I didn't have a spare to use, so I figured what the heck, I'll go with 900 watts :-P Anyways, the lady who owns the pc shop sells me stuff at their cost so they turned out to be around $50. And they're good quality units.

Still it was weird how the pc would run fine with the old Radeon drivers, and then the Catalyst and new drivers would case the video card to drain the PS. Anyhoo, thanks for the help guys!

Edited by wamason