Sound Card Problem

sykocus

Last night my sound card stoppped working. I was playing a game (JK2) and a friend knocked on my door so i hit esc let him in and went back to playing. When I went back the sound was all garbled and had a bad hum to it. When I exited the hum got worse so I restarted. Windows promptly hung on shutdown so I hit the restart button. When windows came back I had no sound. I've tried using the installation cd as well as uninstalling the HW in safe mode and trying to let windows install it when i reboot. when it does install (sort of) in the device manager is says

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Under resources all the Imput/Output ranges are disabled because they are in use by the "system board".

I've tried removing the system board and sound card and rebooting. it installs the system board but i still get the same thing for the sound card.

Any ideas? I have a Athalon 900, 256mb ram and SB Live Gamer on Win2k.

i actully just got it to work...i moved the sound card to a different pci slot.

however it's sort close to my vid card and i don't know if i'll have the room when i add a gpu fan so i'll try what u said.

doesn't it seem strange that that problem would just pop up like that?

yeah ive had that problem with my sound card too. At first i thought my klipsch speakers were the problem, but when i moved the sound card to another slot the sound came back. I accidently sent my klipsch back for a new set thinking that the transistor was crapped. Crossing my fingers that they would send me a new set.

I think it the problem with the motherboard's depth and the pci card slots. If u screw the screws too tight into yur mother board. Thus when u put a pci card in, it doesnt go all the way in, u can still see half of the goldy lines on the pci card.

the only reason I said shut it all down instead of a restart.. im thinking that the power to the pci slots was not let go.. so while it was restarted it was still internally making that noise... and if u took away all the power it would sorta reset itself.. but thats cool that u got it..

interestingly enough it had my computer turned off (forgot about the unpluging part) for the 5 mins or so it took to install the my new GPU fan and stuck the sound card back in the old pci slot and now it works fine.