Pin Repair Question

Ok, I found a 2.6 C with missing pins for under $20. I figured what the hell. Why not try to fix it. I have a soldiering gun. But I will need to either modify a tip or see if they make really small one. Cuz those pins are small. I do have a old K6 cpu that I plan to get pins off of. Then practice on it. Does anyone have any tips for doing this. Will the current soldier on the cpu and pin be enough to hold it, or do I need to use more.

My plan is to fix it and use it in my current PC. Which is a 2.4 mo. If it works and I am happy with the performance. I plan to sell my 2.4 mo and try to get a higher cpu. Then sell the 2.6 or get another motherboard and put together another pc. maybe for my father. His 800 mhz is SLOW. :rolleyes:

Any comments that are constructive will be greatly appreciated

most people that repair pins heat the pin itself untill you can melt a bit of solder on the end of it and just jam it where it was before.

I would probaly use the highest conductive solder I could find, im not sure if normal soldier would cut it.

Not sure if a soldering gun would be safe...

Edited by oralpain

Socket 478 pins are TINY, so youd need some pretty uber 1337 soldering skills to actually solder the pins back on and have it fit on the socket ok. I'd grab some VERY small bits of wire and use that instead of the K6-2 pins, as they will probably be waaay to big. Tin the wire and put a little glob of solder on the end, put some flux on the end with the glob, touch the glob end to the solder point, and then heat the wire and you might just get it to work.

Just use copper wire; cut it to the length of a pin, hold it with needle-nose plyers, heat it and tint it with some solder.Next hold it where the old pin was and heat the other end of it till the solder melts, remove the heat, remove the plyers and it should stick.

Carefully put it in the socket and see if it works.

No way are you eve going to get a soldering iron near the base of the pin unless it the very outer/inner row of pins. You have to heat the other end of the pin.

heat up the pin with a gas solderer then melt a tiny blob of solder on the end and stick it on to the chip upside down with some pliers- of course you should thest to see if it works first, but who is going to throw out a chip that still works?

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200006/oven_art.htm

that's some pretty l33t soldering

Well,thanks for the info guys. I figure I would mount the board using hot glue, as so it won't move. I'll get some small needlenose pliers from work. I will ask some tech friends if they have attempted this and what they did. I figure, if I do screw the pooch on this. I only lost $18.20 . Thats shipped. But even at that,I will learn somethings. ;) Who knows. I'll try it again. Attached is the pic of the cpu. I have a few pins to repair,thats for sure.

edited to add.

I wonder if anyone has tried to used Arctic Silver thermal adhesive. I have some from putting heatsinks on my 9800XT. Things that make you say Hmmm.