Help For A Overclocking N00b..

TekTrekGamer

Hello: This my first post on this forum, and forgive me if I am being stupid or rediculous asking what has been asked, many, many times before.

I build my computer which is comprised of the following components:

MSI 6367-Mainboard

AMD Athlon 1800+ at 1533 Mhz

512 DDR at PC2100

Nvidia FX5200 128DDR Ultra

80 GIG Maxtor HDD

20 GIG Maxtor HDD

And I am interested in overclocking both the processor, and the video card..and anything else that can make this baby faster. Any help or advice is greatly apreciated. Thank you.

(The cooling in the case is sufficiant, but not wonderful)

-Seb

TekTrekGamer

That's not a strong gaming computer, the FX5200 can be beat by a 4600. I'm not familiar with the motherboard, does it support higher FSB speeds? If it can support at least PC2700, then you can easily upgrade piecemeal in the future.

Thanks for the quick replies. The mother board is about 2 years old, I don't think it supports anything over PC2100. The exact model nnumber for the mainboard in MS-6367.

The temperatures in the case are not bad, or anything to worry about. I am not concerned about cooling.

Thanks again,

Seb

The good news is that the CPU is unlockable, which is a Palomino. Put some electrically conductive paste into the cut L5-1 bridge on the CPU and cover it with a little tape. Then, if the MB supports OCing, start playing with the settings. The overclocking FAQ should give you a good start.

Edit: the jumper bridging is for a Thoroughbred A CPU. If it is a Palomino like I stated above, then the jumper(s) to connect may be different. I'll edit this post when I find the info.

Edit2: If it's a Tbred A, I think L5-1 and L5-5 need to be bridged. If it's a Tbred B, then only L5-5 needs to be bridged. Palominos need to have all L5's bridged.