Intel Chips

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-116-164&depa=0

Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 540 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache w/ Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-116-183&depa=0

I've been looking at these 2 processors. They are all with in my price range and I would be happy with either one of em'.

What's your opinion on them? Which one would you go with and what mobo would you strap it on? Any other suggestions that fits my budget OTHER THAN AMD?

thanks muchos

Edited by BROWNjello109

Alright, let's stick with those two instead.

I wont be picking them up for at least another month or two. I'm just doing my research. As for the motherboard. I'm looking at Abit's IC7 Max 3 or the Asus P4P800 D.

"775 = new layout = not many boards yet"

what are some of the boards that support the 775?

thanks

Edited by BROWNjello109

There are a few boards for s775, Asus, Gigabyte, and Abit among others. You would need a new video card for PCI-Express on most of them (+DDR2 on the 925's). Soltek and Abit make boards with the 865 chipset and a 775 socket that you could use an AGP video card with.

If it were me, I would get the 3.2 (or 3.0) Northwood core and an IC7 Max III.

I have a couple 3.2 northwoods 2.8, 2.6, had a 3.0 but sold it, I bought a 3.4c northwood and ran it all the way up to 3.85ghz on stock vcore with the asus board for a minute just to see how high it would go on stock vcore, I am sure it would go higher but I am using the stock HSF for folding, I have it on 3.5ghz it runs 50c full load with 2 ver. of folding at home, I am not sure what there getting out of the 3.4s with good cooling etc. you might want to check on them. Or go with the 3.6 but I think they are running pretty warm, I have been staying with the northwoods. And probably not buying any more chips for a while.

:foldon:

i say u get the Prescott core. there are some people going booo prescott, but lets face it... sooner or later, p4s will be full prescott ^^

lost is a pretty safe bet. ALL the P4's in production are prescott. northwoods died off about 6 months ago when intel changed over.

as far as chips, don't go socket 775 just yet. they all still have some bugs to work out... like 115w of heat, over priced ect.