Open Gl

climberdude

Mabey i just havent been looking in the right places, or i dont know what to look for, but i can find OpenGL to run on linux. i dont know much about OpenGL, but i do know that and thing needing 3d graphics on my current linux graphics driver is painfully slow. i would need an easy to install proram, ar at least detailed instructions as to how to do that, as i havent exactly mastered that yet.

It's a pretty simple process to get them running ;)

If you go online to ATI's website you can download their latest linux driver. This driver will install fine, but not load right away. The steps you are going to want to take are:

1. Download the Driver

2. Unpack the RPM (Either double click it in the window browser or in a command line run rpm -i [file]

3. Make a backup of your X configuration

4. Run fglrxconfig in a command prompt to execute the X server configurator for ATI's drivers.

5. Now comes the trickey part that people forget. You'll need to create a module that the kernel loads to run the driver right.

5.1. cd into /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod

5.2. run make.sh (Just type ./make.sh to execute it) (P.S.: Make sure its a executable. If not: chmod u+x make.sh)

5.3. cd into /lib/modules/fglrx

5.4. run ./make_install.sh (Same idea as make.sh)

6. You'll need to load your new driver at bootup. I have no idea how fedora does it, but your best bet might be to add the following line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local or a file that is similar to it

/sbin/modprobe fglrx

Now you should have a properly configured x configuration file, a driver module, and a working x server.

I do caution you on this in case X doesn't restart. You may want to change your /etc/inittab file so it boots into a non-graphical loader so if you do mess up, it doesn't destroy your system.

To test your new driver, run glxgears

Another thing you want to make sure is that direct rendering is on. You can do this by running glxinfo | grep direct

I get anywhere from 1500-2000fps with glxgears on my ATI 9200, so if you are getting around there then it works properly for sure :)

5. Now comes the trickey part that people forget. You'll need to create a module that the kernel loads to run the driver right.

LMAO... I've been using linux for almost a year now, ish, and I've still not done that... That explains everything...

/me reboots back into linux to fix this...

• 4 weeks later...

haha, well...you could have just pointed me to this post zarkhalar. Anyway you say to add this code to get it to execute at start up:

/sbin/modprobe fglrx

But you don't say where it should be put in the file...I'd assume that just putting it anywhere in there would just be wrong :P

• 2 months later...

How glad am i that i stumbled here loking for info on Redhat and Fedora!

I am a newbie user to the Linux systems but getting on okay so far!

the whole Ati driver system was . me off tho!

gonna give what you sugest a try as the GFx arent anywhere near what id like to see!

• 4 months later...

I got all the way to build_mod and it says

[root@localhost ~]# cd into /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod

-bash: cd: into: No such file or directory

bleh if only ati kept up with kernel's I wouldn't be dealing with all this bs.

I got all the way to build_mod and it says

bleh if only ati kept up with kernel's I wouldn't be dealing with all this bs.

471397[/snapback]

Did you install the OS source when you installed it? I had this same problem when I didn't copy the source for my distro during installation. That directory only exists if the source files are there.

Uhm, no, his problem is that he's literally following the instructions word for word.

Try..

cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod