Is This Ram Bad?

TwinMOS BH-5 512MB stick that I can't seem to get even.. 200MHz out of with 2-2-2 timings... even at 2.9v...is this bad, bad as in... just plain screwed RAM? Tried it in two NF7 boards, mine being the older black RAM slots and the other being a newer one with the coloured slots. Heck, it aint even doing 2-2-2 with cpu interface disabled and 2-2-2 timings at 2.9v! *sigh* It's definately BH-5 too, i've had the heatspreaders off...

oh i've been testing using that too as you know, that's just being weird. mainly fails on test 6 and when I thought i had it stable, I did two runs of test 6 and it failed straight away on the second pass. I think it managed like 215 memtest and that was.... stable..... maybe..... should I keep trying that instead of prime?! Thing is even if I do manage to get it stable with memtest it's not prime stable at all?

EDIT: or did you actually mean what does memtest say when it fails?

Prime95 blend just failed on test 2 at 200, 2-2-2-6, 2.9v ... usually it fails after just a few minutes on test 1...

It was like it before I took them off, the only reason I took them off was to check that they were infact BH-5 because I wasn't believing how....crap it is being :) Came off easily too

EDIT: I got it to pass Prime95 for longer than usual like ever (before I stopped it) at 200MHz FSB, 2-2-2-6, 2.9v by putting the chipset voltage down? But I am also running the cpu like 8.0x multiplier. Should I uhh... put the multiplier to 10.0x again, for 2000MHz, and see if it's still stable then?

Well I went with what I thought would be the best idea and put the processor to 10.0x at 1.4v and it still seems stable. Should I leave it overnight as it is to 'burn-in' ... even though I would have thought all the burning in had already been done being second hand and all.... it's a milestone for me at the minute anyway... maybe I should see if it's still ok at 2.8v vdimm...

I just tried at 2.6v and 2.7v and it wasn't having any of that.. 2.8v... might work... just about, but I think the board overvolts, 2.9v is very close to 3.0v. I would have thought it would have been able to do 2-2-2-6, 200MHz at as little as 2.7v atleast. Does BH-5 really really need this much voltage?!

I guess 2.8v for 200MHz 2-2-2 timings really is normal for BH-5 :blink: It's on test 3 prime at 2.8v in BIOS now... I think I will leave that going overnight and see if it's still going in the morning! If it is, well.. i'll see if I can use my computer without it blue screening, if not.... back to 2.9v I suppose :)

What is BH-5?

THE A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E BEST RAM EVER !

Ok maybe not, but certaintly some fo the best performing. It Does require a lot of Voltage to perform past stock 200@2-2-2-5 but can run that at stock voltages. It was also the FIRST RAM to hit 200@2-2-2-5 makign it the fastest chip on the market for 3-4 months, then went out of production. Until the last month nobody was able to meet those timings, So they've been really rare and expensive, but the BEST.

200 2-2-2-5 at stock voltages? then i've definately got something wrong!

it wasn't stable at 200 2-2-2-6 2.8v .... blue screened. i'm trying with 2.9v now...... this sucks!

EDIT: It's 215MHz FSB now, 6-2-2-2 @ 2.9v ... and it's done 2 passes of memtest. Maybe I just need to format or reinstall some drivers.... hum... it wasn't prime95 stable...

Yup..

it passed memtest at 210 2.9v .. 4 passes... but prime still won't have any of it. CPU was at 11.0x, 1.55v... so I thought maybe it needed more voltage... so I put it to 1.65v and it was exactly the dang same.

computers don't like me :)

EDIT: dropped cpu multi to uh, 9.0v and kept it at 1.55v... computer just now spontaniously rebooted on me. perhaps my psu isn't able to cope!?!?

The BH-5 loves high voltage. Some people run 3.6v on it.:O I had some that ran 2-2-2-5 at 2.8v AT 200Mhz, but since the vDIMM limit on my mobo is 2.8, I couldn't juice it anymore. At 2-3-2-6 it went to 224Mhz at 2.8v. I think you could put the timings to 2-3-2-6 (or maybe try the 11 that seems to work with Athlon's) and not see any major difference.

Relax the timings just a hair, and up the vDIMM. See what happens.

I figured it likes high voltage more than I originally thought :D My board overvolts at 2.9v (max) to about 3.0v ... and it is actually passing memtest just fine at 210 11-2-2-2.. I think it may actually be a PSU problem... lots-a-random blue screens...random as in all different types of blue screen! But i'm not sure, and I can't find anything on google with people having loads of different types of blue screens... so I want to make sure it is probably the PSU before I go buying a new one :)