Ibm Deskstar

meeh083

Anybody has any problems with IBM Deskstars? I built my gf a comp with a 40Gig Deskstar and it crashes every three months almost on the date =P Now I think it's finally kicked the bucket.

We had a Deskstar that was 120GB but only registered as 80GB...[until you do a partition and format...then all of a sudden there it is...120GB]--I wasn't the only one with the problem either. Send it back for a replacement. I'm sure it won't cost a thing except the shipping charge to get it there.... :ph34r:

i bought a 60gb and its only ready 30gb of it!!

there are jumpers on the HD that set it as a limit of 30gbs.. you could have that enabled...

also.. go to the IBM website.. they have an install thing for it.. you download it.. boot it with a floppy and it will partition it for you.. and will mostlikly give you all 60gbs..

if you fdisk a drive.. it will only give you 37 gigs.. I belive because I dont belive it supports much higher.. I had that problem with my seagates.. it only gave me like 38 gigs.. and I went to seagate and got the boot disk for it.. and bloop there it is.. 80 gigs.. :)