Cable Modem ? For You Guys

Guest goteeman

Guest goteeman

i have a RCA cable modem that has both a USB and RJ port, does that mean i can use both at the same time. What I mean is can i use one to a nic card on one computer and the other just to a usb port on another computer

• 3 months later...

Whatzup,

Well I too use the RCA digital cable modem.I tried the same thing you are doing right now.You can not add both it IS one or the other.But there is another way and is the only way to run your FSB really high and still use internet if your limited to a 1/5 divider and cant lock down your pci mhz.They sell adapters that plug into your RJ-45 jack then a usb port to your computer.This works great with DCHP routers, Switch, or Hubs.You dont need to use a eithercard or anything.Plus now that usb 2.0 is pretty much on all current motherboards you can transfer faster than your eithernet is capable of, 480mbs so you will run a Completey full 10/100 duplexed.I recomend the Netgear either to usb 2.0.It is usb 1.1 backwards compatable.So all you would need to do is simply plug in line and your ready to go.You will need to get a DCHP router if you dont want to buy another ip address.Linksys 4 port cable/dsl router is truely easy to set up and works just fine but the dchp firewall will prevent some internet capabilities.Such as running game servers.Or using some extras on messaging services like yahoo instant messager you wont be able to transfer files ect.So if you can spend the extra couple buck a month for the additional ip address.Do so and then you can simple but a swith or hub.I recommend a linksys 5 port game switch.These are truely plug and play there is nothing to set up just plug inline plug in you.I asume the only reason you wanted to use the usb was to just connect the other computer network/internet if you have a either card you wont have anyreason to get usb port networking device.It simply takes the place of a eithercard.USB 2.0 is faster then any 10/100 fast eithernet.so your bottle neck would be the 10/100 duplexed 20/200 since the usb 2.0 transfers at 480mbs.Thats faster than firewire.Works great for me.But the only reason i use the netgear usb adapter is my pci either card dont work past 39mhz pci thats with a 1/5 divider in my bios.So if you dont need the usb port connector dont use it either cards are way cheaper and just as easy to set up.

Hope this helps you out

Stay Cool,