My rig is:

AMD 3200+ at stock speed

Asus A7N8XE -DELUXE Mobo with .09 Bios

512 3200 Ram

DVD Burner Cd Rom

Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Vid card

80 Gig WD HDD

350 PSU

My computer randomly freezes, it did it just a minute ago when the MBM temp only said the cpu was 49 C. I am forced to hold down the power button 5 seconds and then restart as the soft off method does not work when it does this.

When it restarts the ausio post will soetimes say "System failed due to cpu overclocking" but most times it says "Sytem completed self test" but I have not overclocked this cpu yet at all. And the system locking up has no bearing on whether it said System failed at startup or not. The comp freezes at totally random times. I could be doing a cpu intensive thing or just browsing the web, when it froze on me last I had just finished a post in a forum. I have reset the CMOS, reseated the heatsink with artic silver, I don't know what it could be.

Any suggestions?

About to click post new topic, may it not freeze on me this time.

I have noticed right before it freezes my HDD I believe is making a clicking sound. After taking the side off my case I have noticed the HDD is VERY hot. I took an extra fan I have and plugged it into the mobo and have it pointing a bit up toward the HDD. Been running now about 40 minutes with Sandra running in background and no probs. Maybe this was the prob?

Besides the usual hardware gremlins, it could also be software related. Try updating drivers and such. I used regcleaner on my grandmothers comp, and it buggered the video drivers(making it freeze random), did the same thing on my bros rig here(identical) but figured it out. new drivers, good to go.

reinstall all drivers if this doesn't work then run memtest/prime if this works fine then reinstall windows if this doesn't work then format your hard drive, if this doesn't work then try changing your psu if this doesn't work take your pc and throw it off a high rise building

That temp is high for non overclocking? Yikes... I was getting 70C idle with the stock heatsink on a lowly 2400+..... I'd say that was a good enough temperature.

If your HDD was clicking I would check that out, that's usually a sign of a hard disk on it's way out. Did you drop it or knock it or anything? How old is it?

That temp is high for non overclocking? Yikes... I was getting 70C idle with the stock heatsink on a lowly 2400+..... I'd say that was a good enough temperature.

70C? :blink: I won't even run my computer if the ambient temps make the cpu temp over 50C...I'm just not comfortable with it. 70C idle is nearing the limits of the chip thermally, don't they usually die around 80 - 90C? :unsure:

Oh for the love of...

Have you cleared your CMOS?

And try a different HDD. Or a differen't mobo. If any of your friends have 3200+ CPU's or Socket A mobo's, borrow them and see if you get the same error when you switch some equipment around.

Btw...

cmos-jumper.jpg

Clear it.

70C? :blink: I won't even run my computer if the ambient temps make the cpu temp over 50C...I'm just not comfortable with it. 70C idle is nearing the limits of the chip thermally, don't they usually die around 80 - 90C? :unsure:

Yup, 70C. My friends old 1400 Thunderbird ran like it too, only with a chunk of a heatsink. It's what was putting me off AMD's for a long long time and needless to say I was quite disappointed when I got mine and it was running like that as I heard the whole heat bad thing with AMD's was getting better! I'm happy with my temperatures now though, so it's all ok.

I'll be putting that chip back to use in a few days, with the stock heatsink which I had a go at lapping as a test. So long as it stays under about 55C load i'll be happy with that.

Badger, what's the "Oh for the love of..." for?