Can You Hack It?

crash

I just read about a contest where a software company offered a prize to anyone who could hack into their server and change a jpg image stored on it. One guy did it in something like 60 sec! This was no ordinary server either, it was supposed to be almost un-hackable!

Anyways, I got to thinking, is it possible (without doing any damage :blink: ) to hack into my computer and change my wallpaper or something? I'm kind of curious as to how well the SP2 firewall works.

I wish I could hack like that, my dad would be laughing his . off everytime he booted his computer up!

heh it'd be hard to just hack into your computer right now....because we have 0 information. maybe your email address, but no more. we'd need more info to do that :)

also, i wouldn't recommend just saying "Oh yeah you can hack my machine of you want", because people will leave backdoors into your computer and possible steal credit card info, etc.

But could it be done? Is windows FW any good?

I am switching out HD's and doing a fresh install next week so I'm not terribly concerned. Also, I pity to fool who thinks my credit info is worth stealing! Would serve him right to steal a crappy credit profile!

But could it be done? Is windows FW any good?

I am switching out HD's and doing a fresh install next week so I'm not terribly concerned. Also, I pity to fool who thinks my credit info is worth stealing! Would serve him right to steal a crappy credit profile!

windows firewall is crap.

i've been able to packet scan just about any windows xp computer with the firewall....plus i've been able to get in a couple without a NAT or something

windows firewall is crap.

i've been able to packet scan just about any windows xp computer with the firewall....plus i've been able to get in a couple without a NAT or something

Even with the new SP2 FW?

What about Zonealarm?

that's not all - just try googling your userid (from OCC).

As long as it's not something kinda common (like asus, aristotle, 133t g33k, etc), and you use that same userid other places, you may be surprised how many things you can find out about yourself. Just for the heck of it, do it from a machine you've never used before, and don't logon to anything - kinda weird how much you can see about yourself, then make some connections as to who, where, and what you are....

that's not all - just try googling your userid (from OCC).

As long as it's not something kinda common (like asus, aristotle, 133t g33k, etc), and you use that same userid other places, you may be surprised how many things you can find out about yourself. Just for the heck of it, do it from a machine you've never used before, and don't logon to anything - kinda weird how much you can see about yourself, then make some connections as to who, where, and what you are....

Hmm... just occ stuff na foling stats from 3 different places. No ips or stuff like that.

the truth is no matter how good of a firewall you have as long as your computer has a connection to the internet someone that really knows what they are doing can get into your computer.

The thing is... unless there is a reason for someone to hack into your computer, most people wouldn't even bother trying...

A well informed friend of mine advised me to use the minimal amount of firewall protection like ZoneAlarm free version for example... it blocks ports and can be set up to do most things... I was advised NOT to overdo it and install crazy OTT things like BlackIce etc as that only gives hackers more of a challenge AND gives them the impression that you have more valuables to protect...

crash, just use zonealarm... and i wouldn't worry about someone changing your desktop, :lol: