Sign in to follow this  
Vic Mackey

Lapping My Heatsink

Hi everyone. Im gonna be adventurous and lap my heatsink tomorrow. I was reading the guide on this website and it said to put some dishwashing liquid on the surface of the sandpaper. Why do you do this? Would you suggest I do that? Got any tips for someone that has never lapped before? :D Thanks!

it gives it better lubrication when sanding....just so it's easier to lap it that way.

when you are lapping a heatsink...it kind of 'catches' on the edges when you don't use it and it makes the edges kind of rounded

also....make sure you use LOTS of water

Edited by airman

Lots of water makes it even. If you can keep the sand paper on a flat surface and move the heatsink, it gets a more even job done then moving the sand paper.

Remember that higher grit (Finer) sand paper is what gives you the smooth finish. Lower grits remove a lot of material.

You dont want to move the sand paper, that way you might get an uneven surface. Use plenty of water. I used soap, and it kind of maked it feel like I wasnt doing anything. So the second Time I didnt use soap, and it gave me a better surface.

Yeah I did it this way.

Here's what it looked like after 320,400,600,800,1000,1500, and 2000 grit

Could watch tv in the reflection :)

But my cpu(fx-53) still seems to be overheating a bit :(

I think I need to reseat it.

It has dropped a few c's probably the AS5 setting in.

And I haven't pushed it with anything to intense, and not in the heat of the day to see if it will hang now. I mean I really can't overclock much, maybe 100mhz extra stable, I tried ~150, but prime 95 errored within 10 minutes. :(

I mean if I played doom or some other pretty intensive games it would lock up....no overclock....not good.

But still, I shouldn't worry about pushing it (i.e. playing doom3 on stock settings no overclock waiting for AS5 to break in)

With a good heatsink, lapped this well, and a 81.2 cfm fan pushing it.

But anyways this is what your heatsink will or should look like when lapped. Good luck :)

Edited by CardsFan88

Heres mine, Still a few creveces in there, but besides that, mirror finish.

What type of temps are you getting stock?

I've found that this heatsink really benefits from high cfm. I've got a 120mm strapped onto it (92mm to 120mm adapter), and it helped. With the 80mm I had on there, i had it running about 60cfm, With this, I'm running about 85cfm, and 4C lower than the 80mm fan i had.

Hey byron, I've been meaning to post my results.

But my cpu has been overheating. with my ttpipe101

On my gigabyte board I couldn't screw in my heatsink (unless you use washers on the other side as the holes were WAY too big). So I was confused

I was under the assumption they would screw in.

Could you clarify it for me.

When my cpu probes get up to between 47-51 c (probe in the middle part where the retention clip or whatever that is in the middle of the heatsink...sits) Right in that hole.

I got a 90mm alienfan 81.2cfm fan going full blast.

AS5 seems to have set in, and like I said earlier I haven't tested it with intensive games, but before it set in, it would lock up. This was during and after my 6800ultra fiasco, so I think I know I have cooling problems as well.

I'm running a thermaltake xaser V damier case w/5 fans besides the psu and cup fans.

I even installed faster ones in some of them.

Note because I couldn't "screw it into the motherboard" I screwed it into the retention clip. they had white plastic things instead of screws. And because of that the clip that holds it didn't hold, so I need to throw duct tape on it.....but I only put in on the bottom part, and only like 1/4 to 1/6 of an inch. So I'm pretty sure its not causing airflow problems...plus putting it in I broke about 5 fins towards one end...but it was more of them being bent up a bit broken away from the base...and it was only 3 on one side and 2 on the other (from the inside when I insterted the clip thingy) and they were on the ends...so I doubt that would impact my performance much at all if any.

Also I put on the as5 and then put on the heatsink, but I couldn't get it to hold right (thus the duct tape) so I had to take off the heatsink probably close to ten times. The first time I took it off, it was stuck on pretty good, but by the last time, the as5 didn't hold it on with the same strength...not nearly as strong. Would the process of taking off and on the heatsink and losing the adhesive bond cause more air space or other things which would give me higher temps?

Any help would be cool. Thanx

I just haven't been able to pin down whats wrong or what I could do, so I couldn't really comment on how its performed.

Otherwise I would've posted it a week ago. Sorry :(

Edited by CardsFan88

Thanks for the replies everyone! :D Well I just "finished" and my heatsink isnt shiny. It does look better for the most part, but in the middle of the bottom I can see some scratches. I dunno what I did wrong but I'll give it a try when I put my computer back together. Now to try and install the ATI Silencer 3 on my video card /shudder :unsure:

If you can still see scratches then you didnt go far enough with your lapping job. It also means that part of your heatsink is not flat. It took me almost 5 hrs to get mine flat and shiny so take your time and don't rush. :foldon::foldon:

one thing that worked really good for me is going to home depot to were they cut glass they usually have a big trash can full of broken glass and if you can get them to cut you a piece to about 10x10 you can duck tape the sand paper over the glass and have the flatest cheapest sanding surface. They usually want charge you the only thing that stinks is you can't buy it at 10x10 that is why you have to use the scrap.

will a place like home depot or lowes cut aluminum? cause i wanna cut the fan guard out of the back of my super lanboy and also make a blowhole. but the last time i used power tools was in shop class in middle school.