Sign in to follow this  
Xperi-mental_101

I Got A New Airbrush...

Hey guys.

I just had a question for all you airbrushers our there.

I just aquired a air brush from a friend of mine, and I was going to use it for detail work on cases.

The guy who used to use it used it for ceramics primarily. The paint he used was water based paint. Now I can't help but think thaqt would be a bad idea on a case. (course I could be wrong)

I was curious if anyone has used a air brush for case work before, and if so, what kind/brand of paint shoudl i use on the plastic as opposed to the metal.

I have also heard this "Vinyl Dye" product getting used for plastic, yet everyime I mention it or try to find it as Vinyl Dye I come up with nothing. Is there another name for this product, or where can I find it.

Thanks again in advance.

OCC'er FORUMS RULE!!

I read a how-to about vinyl dye and the guy got it at an auto parts store. He dyed some bezels on his optical drives and they came out looking awesome.

Edit:

This isn't what I was thinking of, but maybe it'll help: Vinyl Dye Guide and FAQ

Vinyl Dye Guide

Just :google: "pc mod vinyl dye"

Edited by Nemo

I used to do a little airbrushing and i used CREATEX colors, there's oil and water based colors, clears etc. ready to use from the bottle cause if you tried it you already know you have to use your colors very thin otherwise your brush just clog up spits and make a terrible job.

You can find that brand of paint in large hobby shops and specialized airbrushing places,btw these guys love to give you advices on how to use your stuff ;)

Thanks man..

Ya, I have seen people use water base and solvent paints with it, I just didn't want to end up wasting 10 bucks on paint and supplies and only end up junking up the gun. :P

I am going to use it to paint some flames on the the bay covers for my case, and also create stealth drive for my cdrom drives with them. Then I will be applying a UV reactive clearcoat to finish the flames.

I have an Antec case with the locking door, and am doing the window mod that I picked up from from, here i believe. On the back of the door (that I am placing the window in I will be place some small UV lamps to illuminate the flames behind the plexi when the door is shut.

I think I am going to airbrush it, but I am torn between that or Dying the bay covers since it is plastic..