Sign in to follow this  
O(V)eGA_l2el)

.spin Down Time.

How does spin down time affect a drive?

My NEC ND2510A(2.16firmware) is set at 32secs & EL-56 (VYes2 firmware) is set to infinite. Nero v.6.3.1.20/ Nero DriveSpeed shows these stats.

*edit* - it is better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it**

i just deleted a bunch of stuff i babbled but here - this is exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/papathan/pap...-urcs-tr792.pdf

the faster/longer a cd keeps spinning the faster data can be retreived from it - if the cd is at a dead stop you experiance sort of a wait state till the cd is "upto speed"

there are advantages/disadvantages to keeping the cd spinning-

keeps spinning= lesser waiting for data access, mechanism wears out faster- possible failure, drive is "loud"

slows down= longer waiting for initial data transfer, breaking action "preserves" the drives mechanisms, drive is usually quieter but a "revving" sound is usually heard

experiment with settings and benchmarks much like you would when overclocking a processor

mabee im completely off track on this reply :S

is that 32seconds or 32miliseconds????

32 seconds seems like a long time for "spin down" time...........

mostly its for power consumption control - for a desktop system its not really necessary to change this - but for a laptop mabee you would change that to say 10 or 15 if you could

a setting of infinite means that the drive is almost always "active" ready and never fully shuts down untill you kill the power

well - start experimenting - let the drive sit for a minute - eject the cd- wait another minute - then put a cd in and see how long it takes for the computer to acknowlege the disk - then see how long it takes for the drive to stop --- then open MY COMPUTER and see how long it takes for windows to acknowlege the cdrom drives

adjust the settings, then repeat the whole process