Is This A Good Server?

Hey there! I was just wondering if this would make a so-so server. Like i might use it for just hosting CS like a 24 ppl server. And probably some other games or something... So here are the specs...

I have a...

P3 700mhz with Asus MOBO P3V4x with my BRO's Jaton Ge-Force 2 MX400 and

2 128 MB(PC133) and 2 64MB(pC100) Will this works with 2 diff. RAM ratings? And a regualer IDE HDD and an old CD-ROM. and a Ethernet CARD(10/100) with and old SB 5.1 thats it. Will this make an OK server???

Also which software should i use? Is windows XP pro ok???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure about a 24 person CS server, and for the most part most game servers require some horsepower behind them with quite a bit of ram to perform well. It would however work well for a basic webserver or FTP server.

If your just playing CS 1.6 or 1.5 you should be fine but don't plan to play online because im pretty sure your internet will not give you the upload you need to host a server. We use a server with similar specs for are school LANs and it seems to work fine with 28 people being the most we've ever had at one time.

Your system is not up-to-par for a 24 man server. It would start lagging at 10 man. So theres not much use for it besides foldign :-P Also bandwith plays a big issue into it. Ram also does to. for a 24 man, you need atleast 512mb ddr like others said.

DOH! O well.... It is good enough just for playing just custom map with my friends? I'm not gonna do some public just private... Cuz i DL some custom maps that look really cool!...

Is there anything i can use for that P3. I mean it loads ok on my bro's comp. Pretty fast. Considering he has 100 spywares and 1000 songs. And stuff... And like the most progrmas ive ever seen... Load like in 3 min. LOL!

Is there a cheap server that i could get. Maybe P3 cuz less heat than P4. Like a dual board for 80-150 dollars???

No. Of course i want a P4 or something. I dont need anything big. P3 is good enough for now. Im not hosting a 32 ppl server or anyhting. If i did. I would tell me fellow OCC my ip and come and play there with AMX mods and everything... And i know P3 is not good. BUT P3 runs realler cool... P4 is too hot cuz im gonna put this in my room...

Thanks BigRed. But thats the 2500 mobile rite?

Ok ok here the other solution...

My other bro has a comp that he use for now. Its AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz with Shuttle...(yes i know it bad.) We were very very below NOOBS. We didnt even know anything bout comp except to play games and surf internet.. LOL! back to the thing.

So its AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz with 256 DDR ram Crucial Shuttle VIA(support up to 4 gigs of ram... So ya are those ok? I mean they run i think almost as fast as my comp. But not in loading pix and anything. Pretty good. BUT HOT! still with Volcano 7(half copper halff aluminum) (mite lapped it)

Pretty GOOD? so so. Ok to host at least 20-24 ppl server? MAYBE less.. LOL Cuz i want to use this comp as just a place to store some IMPORTANT documents. Stuff that takes up lots of my comp space...

Edited by littleaznkid