Scsi Or Sata For Performance?

cyberpc04

Ok, i'm looking to get some good hdd performance but i'm not sure if I should go with a 36.7gb SCSI drive or two 80gb SATA drives in raid. Also should I go with Seagate or Hitatchi? Storage isn't an issue, i'm looking for performance and just want to get the best. Drop in your .02cents. Thanx

well first off the RPM has very little to do with the speed of transfer. also theres no such thing as a 20,000RPM drive.

SCSI will beat a set of raptors in RAID 0 but depending on what you get it could be by a little or a lot. for it to be worth spening the money on SCSI you should get a 15K RPM drive with U320 controler.

well first off the RPM has very little to do with the speed of transfer. also theres no such thing as a 20,000RPM drive.

n00b - rpms have every little bit to do with transfer speeds - why do you think a 7200 rpm out marks a 5400??? and a 10000 outmarks a 7200????

as for SCSI vs SATA --- it depends what you want to do with it - if you just want to bust out some raw scores without the $$$$ investment i would definately say SATA - Maximum PC did a review on exactly this topic back a few months - the DUAL WD Raptors SATA out benchmarked DUAL SCSI 360's in the same test - BUT the margin was minimal

if you are looking for single user raw performance go with the SATA - cheaper, same to set up as SCSI Raid 0, 1, 0+1 and you wont need an adapter card if your mobo already has SATA connects

now on the other hand - if you are going to be building a network server where there are going to be multiple users requesting data and need fast access times - SCSI 360 is the way to go - but expect to shell out some hard cash cause not many motherboards host SCSI connections meaning that you are going to need to get a PCI-SCSI card

for a gaming rig i would go with SATA Raid 0 config

for those that dont beleive me - look up maximum pc's back issues and test their results against your own if you have that much money to spend :P

Maximum PC did a review on exactly this topic back a few months - the DUAL WD Raptors SATA out benchmarked DUAL SCSI 360's in the same test - BUT the margin was minimal

:withstupid:

Unless you are building a server where reliability and hot-swappability are key factors, WD Raptors in a Raid-0 are the top-of-the-line right now (and a heck of a lot cheaper than SCSI).

I woulda thought sata in raid 0 would be faster too, think about it, the max peak transfer speed is when reading or writting data from the outside of the spindle, becuase it moves the fastest, if you have 2 discs doing this writing half the data to each drive, your going to be using the outer segments more, than using the slower inners on a single drive (or at least thats the theorey)

And i seem to remembr seeing 20k drives.