Evga Vs Bfg

Shaine11

EVGA 6800 ultra w/far cry or BFG 6800 ultra? im aware BFG performs better out of box but i heard that they hit wall easily with overclocking. by the way i plan on getting far cry reguardless

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BFG's come with an overclocked BIOS so they are OC'd out of the box. Better to get the EVGA and OC it on your own terms. Buying pre-OC'd products is dangerous.

I wasnt really paying close attention to how high of a demand these 6800 ultras are so i guess im screwed for now... The 4 they had at bestbuy about 2 days ago are all gone and u cant even buy them off the website cause it sold out. Oh well im not paying a dime over $499 for it considering i was looking to only spend $399 on the GT from the start. By the way im pissed at all these stores like best buy compusa and circuit city b/c they always overcharge/dont carry/are sold out/or over price every god dang thing. Grrr i wonder how long i will be waiting for another shipment i need it to complete my new system thats on its way from newegg.

You want the card to die faster? Most products only have a 1 year warranty one them. Buying OC'd products takes the fun out of it anyway.

I got a eVga 6800 Ultra

I don't know what the situation is with all the ultras

but the eVga like mine are having problems.

Artifacting, lockups...cutouts where you are running 3dmark 01 or 03 and you're getting 250 fps and then you have a freeze for like 10-30 seconds.

I'm unhappy right now, but I might have a fix for it, found it on the eVga forums where there are literally 35 threads involving some sort of issues.

Some (which would be of any manufacturer) is the power supply issue.

The second is where the 2d core is at 400mhz but the 3dcore is at 425 mhz

The new bios...the one my factory one is supposed to have it at 425mhz for both so in a sense the eVga ARE OC"ED out of the box.

But, they said since my 2d core is still at 400mhz, its like a different revision of the same number bios....wierd huh.

On my new system I've been testing things. Right now 21+ hrs of prime 95 torture with no problems as of now.

I'm going to try to flash the bios and other stuff.

I was getting (if 3dmark 2001 and 2003 finished) 5000-8800 on 3dmark 03 and 21K-22K on 3dmark 01.

This is on an fx53 1gig oczpc4400 2.5-4-4-8 and a giga-byte board

So I should be in the 12-13K range for pc mark 03 and 26-27K+ for 3dmark 01

The only thing is my new floppy might not be working. It's recognized but when I put a disk in it isn't recognizing it. I'm not sure if I enabled it in bios, I might but boot to it or something in the bios to see if that works when prime95 finishes.

My suggestion is to do a search for the BFG ultra to see if you can find this problem, because ALOT of people have had theirs fixed with the bios update.

Also Audigy 2ZS have had problems by some with the 6800 series.

If I get it to work, I'll post tomorrow on it. But my first choice would be the BFG, but then again I knew nothing of this until I hit the eVga forums....which you need to be registered. And it does seem to be quite fixable, but still, I'd do some research just to make sure the BFG doesn't have the same problem, because RMA'ing the board most likely won't do anything but get you back a new board with the same problem....plus the angonizing wait factor.

This is gonna be the first computer i've built so i have asked a lot of questions in the past week or so on three different forums and i have to say that this whole time i have not gotten an answer as thorough and as helpful as urs. Thanks so much for taking ur time to reply to my post. it has really helped me make my decision.

reguards, Shaine